Has anyone ever had a Newfoundland dog?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spa Therapist

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
As the title suggests, me and my husband are considering getting a dog. He grew up with a dog and his family are dog lovers. I, however, have never had a dog and I know nothing about them really! We both think we love Newfoundlands from what we've seen and read. I know that they are used to rescue people from water and are considered to be 'nanny dogs' (although they say that about Staffies but they are always on the news for the wrong reasons).
Briefly, our circumstances are as follows:

Most importantly, we have a 1 year old daughter
We are a military family and my husband can be away for 4 months at a time
I was burgled last year and I am terrified to be in the house on my own at night
Our work patterns mean that there is always someone in the house
We live in a beautiful rural area with lots of green spaces for walks/swimming
We will possibly move around every few years

These are a mixture of pros and cons but I just wondered what more experienced dog owners think? Have you owned a Newfoundland or know someone who has? Do you have any advice for me?

Thankyou so much in advance! :Love:

I love dogs!
Newfoundlands are gorgeous bears! It sounds like you're in the ideal setting for keeping one. They do drool a lot and need brushing regularly to avoid their thick fur matting etc.
Whilst they tend to be quite a placid breed, having a loyal pet in the home will probably ease your mind when you're on your own.
Make sure you know all the health risks associated with larger dogs. :)

They are stunning dogs, gentle giants. The only thing that would put me off, is that they aren't particularly long lived. I wanted a Burnese Mountain Dog desperately, then a couple of months ago I read that they seldom live beyond 6...so sad :'(

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek mobile app

They average 9/10 years I think for newfies. Nothing is guaranteed though.
One of my Leonbergers sadly had to be put down this year after she was suddenly paralysed. 6years young!
And we almost lost our other Leo to bloat when he wasn't even a year old! (He's a healthy 2 n half year old now)
And I had my heart set on getting a Bernese too. The cancer risks and young lifespans are insane :s I still want one though haha :s
Nothing is more heartbreaking than losing a pet. They become a part of the family. But there is nothing better than having a loyal animal by your side spending it's entire life loving you no matter what x

Thankyou both! I've just looked up Leonbergers, they are beautiful! I didn't dare look up Burmese Mountain Dogs incase I wanted one :p
Do big dogs tend to be a bit clumsy around the house? Or are they graceful giants? Lol x

I think it depends. My female Pyrenean is the definition of grace! But my male Leo is a right silly thing! He has knocked over more drinks with his tail than I've ever drank! Haha x

My nans neighbour had 3 newfoundlands and now has 2. There so good outside, they walk without leads next to their owner and gracefully walk beside her and not even another dog makes them look away! They seem to me to be very obedient, loving, loyal doggies. Apparently her 3rd one died aged 8, but Im not sure what of.

Newfies are lovely, very sweet, very quiet.

They don't need long walks either, they can be a bit lazy, and much prefer being in the water!

Bernese Mountain Dogs are beautiful dogs. Easier to handle than Newfies, a bit smaller and less grooming (Newfs need an intense weekly grooming session). And less slobbery than Newfoundlands! It's true that the Berner lifespan is terrible. I lost my 5yr old Bernese, last year. She was an amazing dog. Even the postmen cried when she died. But, there are some reputable breeders out there, which I've since found. The breeder of my dog had bred Crufts winners; known for their beauty and temperament, but not health, unfortunately.

It's very hard with big dogs, their health is generally poorer, so tread carefully with breeders. If you want to rehome, I recommend "Second Chance for Newfoundlands", they're on Facebook. HTH x

Thankyou all so much for your replies, it's so interesting as I don't know anything about dogs! I suppose pet insurance is a must if you take home a dog that is prone to problems. Do insurance companies impose certain restrictions on your policy in these circumstances?

Thankyou all again :p

Newfies are lovely, very sweet, very quiet.

They don't need long walks either, they can be a bit lazy, and much prefer being in the water!

Bernese Mountain Dogs are beautiful dogs. Easier to handle than Newfies, a bit smaller and less grooming (Newfs need an intense weekly grooming session). And less slobbery than Newfoundlands! It's true that the Berner lifespan is terrible. I lost my 5yr old Bernese, last year. She was an amazing dog. Even the postmen cried when she died. But, there are some reputable breeders out there, which I've since found. The breeder of my dog had bred Crufts winners; known for their beauty and temperament, but not health, unfortunately.

It's very hard with big dogs, their health is generally poorer, so tread carefully with breeders. If you want to rehome, I recommend "Second Chance for Newfoundlands", they're on Facebook. HTH x

I'm so sorry to hear you lost your Berner so young. I've wanted one for maybe 20 years, but I'm so scared of the heartbreak that it stops me from having one. It's not uncommon to read of them passing at just 2 from cancer, it's breaks my heart to think of it. But they are a dream! All the large breeds are just wonderful <3

Thankyou all so much for your replies, it's so interesting as I don't know anything about dogs! I suppose pet insurance is a must if you take home a dog that is prone to problems. Do insurance companies impose certain restrictions on your policy in these circumstances?

Thankyou all again :p

I would advise insurance no matter which breed! I've had a lab, cavie and vizsla, only the vizsla had good health. In fact, my lab was the worst, which you wouldn't expect. It's definitely worth it. Generally there will be restrictions with treating ongoing medical issues at the time of taking the policy out. I would expect a policy for a dog with a high risk of certain conditions, will have that risk factored into the premium already xx

Oh my god please insure your dog its sooo important.
There should be a law that dogs must be insured so pet owners dont abandon them when the vet bills get too high. .. but that's another story!

My chi went to the emergency veta when I thought he'd injured his leg. On 2 visits over 2 days my vet bill was £400, bar a £75 excess we have just had a cheque for the remaining amount thanks to our insurance.

Just another example, my mum has a Shih Tzu. When it was about 4 it developed allergies to everything!
He visits the vets for an injection every few months.
That would be very costly without insurance!

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Ooh yes definitely, sorry I didn't mean I wouldn't insure a dog otherwise :hug:
I would also want to buy a pup from a reputable breeder and pay for advice (at the very least) from an experienced trainer. It terrifies me how irresponsible some people can be when they take on these powerful animals, no matter how gentle their temperament! X

hello,

Not sure if this will help.

I've always loved big dogs, I have wanted a Bernese Mountain Dog for ages. The first one I met was so sweet but only lived until he was 4 as he had cancer :(

We had a newfoundland stay with us last year for a while, only about 8 months old but he was fantastic. He was very good, showed up my westie cross a bit. Sheds an awful lot, be prepared to get the hoover out a couple of times a week :) I tend to find that that 'gentle giants' sums up most of the really big dogs well. A newfoundland would be very loyal, the ones that i have met have a lovely temperament and good with kids, protective if need.

The big dogs that I have walked don't tend to want to go very far, not sure if that is just me. The tend to have problems with bones and joints. They also eat a lot of food :)

Good luck! if you get one, if it is a puppy or a rescue please post a picture!

Latest posts

Back