Has anyone ever tried this?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

melbee

Reaction score
Hi folks,
a family member got me a present (sort of) well, more bought some nail gel glitters and asked me if I could use them over her acrylic nails? She bought a set of 12 off the internet, and I must say I am quite jealous as they are the most fab colours & pots.
The pots are not cheap ones, with proper black good screw top lids and the glitters are a range of chunky holoramic colours with hints of finer glitter but lovely. She got them from Amazon. Sealed & new, she has asked me if I can use them over her acrylics. I said I would use them on bare nails as I dont know what part of a system they are, hard, soft? but she was just meaning as a nail art effect over the acrylic for a glitter effect.
I've never used any gels over acrylics but I guess someone out there must have done! I've got a mass range of NSI, Youngs, CND glitters but none are like these. They are so pretty its a shame to waste them by not using them?

Do your acrylics as normal. stick the glitter on with nail varnish and then top coat with a UV top coat!!

Do your acrylics as normal. stick the glitter on with nail varnish and then top coat with a UV top coat!!

She is talking about glitter gels:p

Just do your acrylic nails, do not buff but finish with a 180 grit and then apply your gel over and cure, you can then use a gel top coat over it.

They are glitter gels, but with them having no brand on them I was worrying they may disturb the acrylic or not adhere properly or something. I will just do a thin coating and cure for 2 mins I recon, as a sort of nail art.

Is this how the glass like chunky glitter nails are acheived or do you just mix the chunky glitter in with clear acrylic?

I know exactly what these are they're lovely! I've used them over acrylics but have found they're v cheap and ping off! I just used nail glue to stick it back on, but I would not use on clients unfortunately. Maybe work out if you use a good quality gel then the glittery one over it so it would be acrylic, gel, glitter gel, but as these are unbranded I wouldn't want to mix systems :) hope I helped xx

hiya,
thanks for that, what a shame that they just ping off - do you mean they just chip like nail varnish on a regular nail? I wonder if I put some balance bond on first - hmmm I will try on myself before I do any clients. The acrylic + good gel + naff but sparkly gel sandwich sounds a good idea but i am thinking this would make my timings a lot more.
Does no one sell a good quality gel with sparklies & holograms? I will let you know if the balance bond works on myself xx

Yeah pings off all in one like nail varnish does when it's applied to thickly :) also makes the enhancement thick as you need a couple of layers of the gel to get full coverage of the glitter :) xx

Why not do a rockstar instead?

I did my first set of glitter tipped sculpts on a paying client (also good friend) and I was very pleased with them apart from they took me 1hr 50mins. Well, she text me tonight (to tell me that her litter finger one has cracked then came off. She is very honest, and would have told me if she had caught it in a cupboard etc.
Would people say that tips are stronger than sculpts? this client/friend I have done tips on for the past 2 years and never had a single problem.
They were not long either. I know sculpts look better and fit better, but if they dont last as well Im tempted not to bother.

Last edited:
:o I just reread your post very important !!!!! make sure your glitter to powder ratio is correct...other wise your acrylic strength is compromised! it should be listed some where google it ... I think it is 1 part glitter to 3 parts acrylic!

aha, thanks for that. I mix my glitter 1:3 BUT when I went on the NSI sculpting course, the educator told us that with NSI products is a 1:2 mix, a couple of people questioned this but she was adamant.
Hmmm, I guess the mix wouldnt really matter that much if it was over a tip?

Latest posts

Back