Has anyone had a pet duck?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spa Therapist

Reaction score
As the title suggests, I think I might want a pet duck!

My husband wants a pet. To be precise he wants a Newfoundland, which if you're not familiar with them, looks like this
newfoundland-dogs-size4.jpg
c6ab3ca949df537ab8f49d9d1469956e.jpg

I'd rather have something a little smaller :o

Does anyone have any experience of owning a pet duck? I know nothing about them but obviously I would do my research before I took one on!

Many thanks in advance!

I'm no help as i hve never had a pet duck but my best friend has. She didn't have it for long though :( x

I had 4 ducks until yesterday when Mr. Fox paid a visit. Grrrrrr

I've had ducks, we got them when they were six weeks old, sadly 3 met a very sad ending! 1 came home injured & I nursed her back to health, she had a huge chunk missing from the back of her head, let's just say when you tweezering maggots out of a wound & administering water & meds you know your attached to a damn duck. She now lives happily with a male duck on our Nans farm. They are very quirky, it's a nice experience to raise them from tiny, eggs are lovely for baking but they are extremely messy. Especially if they have a pond or small bowl of water. Sad to just have 1 they'd be better with company. HTH

We had ducks when I was a kid and I do like them a lot.

They have a lot of character, but make a lot of mess - wet slippy poo, and they turn grass to mud.

If you have space for a small pond and enclosure, a group of 3 or 4 might be fun and entertaining.

There are many breeds and some are really pretty. They can certainly be quite tame if you treat them right.

They won't keep you warm at night like a Newfoundland would (just kidding, you wouldn't want to let it on the bed!)

My Nan's neighbours had ducks, when they moved in they only had them a short time and they were stolen :-(
They were lovely and the areas a nice one so we were quite surprised. I suppose you never know who's watching....

I have little quacklings :) messy and will need wings clipping but they are just brilliant

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thankyou for your replies everyone! So I'd need to be prepared for a lot of mess, have a few and provide water for them - would a large plastic paddling pool be suitable? We rent so I wouldn't like to start ripping the garden up!

How cruel stealing someone's ducks! I hope the nasty buggers got pecked :irked:

My husband used to have 7 Muscovies and 7 khaki campbells when he was a youngster, used to breed from them too, he had old tin baths for them, great fun he says

My friend keeps Aylesburys and their eggs are amazing x

edit to add: I'd take the Newfoundland any day tho lol

New foundland all the way! I love that breed :D their soo big and fluffy!

This is gonna sound sooo silly but how did you keep em in your garden?? Like do they not fly away.

See I'm sitting here now thinking there's such a thing as homing ducks, ya know like the pigeons lmao

Sent from my tiny little mind using SalonGeek mobile app

This is gonna sound sooo silly but how did you keep em in your garden?? Like do they not fly away.

See I'm sitting here now thinking there's such a thing as homing ducks, ya know like the pigeons lmao

Sent from my tiny little mind using SalonGeek mobile app

If you've provided them with a nice warm bed and food they come back! My chickens used to disappear in the day but all miraculously trot home at bed time (before foxy got them :().

Latest posts

Back