Have I been taught old fashioned techniques?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NZNailz

Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm always reading forums and posts etc, always trying to learn more.
The more I read, the more it seems some of the system I was taught is old fashioned / unnecessary.
Primarily, I was taught to 'etch' the nail before enhancements with a rather strong grit and follow with an acid primer, a second coat applied before application again.

Am I right in now thinking that a clean and prepped nail needs only a buff and an acid free primer? and if so, would it be ok to purchase a different brands primer?

To be honest I think it has more to do with the brand/product used than anything. For example I use CND and their products require shine removal only with a 240 grit file and no primer at all unless for lift prone clients. Other products do need a primer, some acid based, and some even require etching with a 180 :eek:

I'm still training at the minute and I've been taught to remove shine with either a 150/180 grit then to swipe the nail with dehydrator and only apply the primer before product application, so maybe it depends on who you've been trained by and what products they use! What you're doing sounds fine to me Though! If it's not broken don't fix it :)

Just go with the education you are provided with for that brand.
Etching is that! A scratch on the nail plate, not filing through it.
Depending on the brand you trained with can make you have tunnel vision and prevent you looking elsewhere.
Try other brands, products and training and do whats best for you and your clients. It's easy to get stuck in a rut and I'm only new to nails!!
Read books, social media (not always right [emoji33]) etc and find your niche xx

I'm still training at the minute and I've been taught to remove shine with either a 150/180 grit then to swipe the nail with dehydrator and only apply the primer before product application, so maybe it depends on who you've been trained by and what products they use! What you're doing sounds fine to me Though! If it's not broken don't fix it :)
Wow, that's going to cause some 'broken' (damaged) natural nails etching with those grits.. :(

Wow, that's going to cause some 'broken' (damaged) natural nails etching with those grits.. :(

I've used both on my own before doing anyone else's and a 150 with light filing hasn't damaged my nails at all, I'm not sawing at them I'm lightly filing to take surface shine off. It's how I was taught

Latest posts

Back