Have you worked abroad?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lillamy

Reaction score
Hiya
i would really like to hear from any geeks who have worked abroad, your experience there (where?) , was it difficult to get the job and which qualification you hold? Thanks in advance!

Hello,
I have always lived and worked in America and now coming back to England, I have noticed many differences in qualifications and requirements to work in the beauty industry. It's much less restrictive in the UK so going to other countries may prove a bit more difficult. In the US you have to go to school and receive a license that is different in every state. The UK qualifications unfortunately are not acceptable in the US. My Mum has always cut hair and then when we moved to America, she wasn't allowed to even touch a client, even though she'd been doing hair here for over 20 years!

Working in the UK is probably the easiest to be able to open your own business but it is still standard everywhere that employers want to hire people that are experienced and know their craft. I think that will be the same no matter where you go. I'm not sure if this helps, when you say "abroad" that's the limit of my experience, but I hope it offers some insight. Make sure you check with the regulating bodies of where ever you are planning to go because they are VERY different from the UK to the US, I can only imagine there are other issues you may run into going to other countries.
Take care,
Jane

Hello,
I have always lived and worked in America and now coming back to England, I have noticed many differences in qualifications and requirements to work in the beauty industry. It's much less restrictive in the UK so going to other countries may prove a bit more difficult. In the US you have to go to school and receive a license that is different in every state. The UK qualifications unfortunately are not acceptable in the US. My Mum has always cut hair and then when we moved to America, she wasn't allowed to even touch a client, even though she'd been doing hair here for over 20 years!

Working in the UK is probably the easiest to be able to open your own business but it is still standard everywhere that employers want to hire people that are experienced and know their craft. I think that will be the same no matter where you go. I'm not sure if this helps, when you say "abroad" that's the limit of my experience, but I hope it offers some insight. Make sure you check with the regulating bodies of where ever you are planning to go because they are VERY different from the UK to the US, I can only imagine there are other issues you may run into going to other countries.
Take care,
Jane

Hello
Thank you for ur reply. I know that US is almost impossible in terms of relocation like u said. The UK qualifications are however such that a lot of people travel with them and work abroad and Id be interested to hear about peoples experiences. Why are u coming back to the UK? Id love to go to the US if I ever had the chance, but very difficult that unless I am rich and am able to start up a business (business visa).. or marry an american:) so not vety likely !:(:(

Don't get me wrong it's not that difficult or even close to impossible, I'm just saying the qualification for performing beauty services are very different, even if you've been doing it here in the UK for years. You have to abide by the host countries laws and regulations so just be sure you are compliant before you start working or looking for work.

I moved back to the UK because my husband's tour of duty has landed us back here, but I was born here and all my family is here, so it's actually a great assignment for us.

Moving to the US isn't as scary or difficult as it seems but just make sure you're following the laws that are very different. Things you wouldn't necessarily think are different, really are. I'm not sure what other European countries requirements are, they are probably quite similar to England's so I'm sure relocating fairly close wouldn't be too difficult. It would be nice to work in one of the posh hotels on some of the islands! Nice.

Jane

Don't get me wrong it's not that difficult or even close to impossible, I'm just saying the qualification for performing beauty services are very different, even if you've been doing it here in the UK for years. You have to abide by the host countries laws and regulations so just be sure you are compliant before you start working or looking for work.

I moved back to the UK because my husband's tour of duty has landed us back here, but I was born here and all my family is here, so it's actually a great assignment for us.

Moving to the US isn't as scary or difficult as it seems but just make sure you're following the laws that are very different. Things you wouldn't necessarily think are different, really are. I'm not sure what other European countries requirements are, they are probably quite similar to England's so I'm sure relocating fairly close wouldn't be too difficult. It would be nice to work in one of the posh hotels on some of the islands! Nice.

Jane

well I wish you luck with your relocation! how exciting! I hope u like it although I am not sure where in the US you are located but wither way, it'll be very different i am sure. I havent even considered attempting to relocate to the US or Canada as it just seems very tricky business, I think Ill stay within europe for now, was thinking more of places like Cyprus or Dubai (although not europe) or anything else exciting:):)

Latest posts

Back