Hello and a quick question :)

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SalonOwl

Reaction score
Hi fellow salon geeks!

I'm a trainee level 2 hairdresser, new to this site but i have been told you are all really helpful and friendly and look forward to getting lots of great advice on here :)

I was wondering what the best way to go about ombre hair is (basically the grown out dye look)
I'm naturally a light brown-medium blonde with no colour on my hair at the moment except a few basically grown out highlights. I want the ends to be a nice blonde, not too light but not ginger either! My hair has red tones in naturally so i'm thinking a cool/ash blonde?

Any help or advice you could offer would be great :)

When I do ombre, I pick root colour and always use Demi unless covering up gray. Section hair in 4 apply colour on the roots down to mid length after applying colour comb the hair with a wide tooth comb (colour will feather nicer) then take a profile section from center forehead to nape. starting at nape take zig zag setions and weave hair then place foil or easy meshe to seperate the hair and use lightner with 20 or 30 vol through midlength and ends. Make sure to feather really well so it will blend nicely. You can leave sections out or do all the hair depending on how heavy you want ombre.

So you would dye all the hair from roots to ends, i like my natural colour and just wanted the ends a lighter caramel brown/blonde really so could i just skip the first steps and just lighten the ends?
Thanks for the advice :)

So you would dye all the hair from roots to ends, i like my natural colour and just wanted the ends a lighter caramel brown/blonde really so could i just skip the first steps and just lighten the ends?
Thanks for the advice :)

I would probably use a bayliage technique, freehand painting the lightened where wanted then tone. Possibly tone with something like 8.13.;)

Yes you can just do your ends if you like your colour. No I only colour roots to midlengths and leave the ends out then comb the hair with wide tooth comb so you get a nice feather on the midlengths. When you put lightner on the ends your feathering it into the midlengths, it has colour on the midlengths thats how you get the diffrent levels of tone.

I usually take diagonal sections starting from the nape of neck backcomd from
Tips to mid lengths twice then apply lighterner to ends roughly in foils, each section I put less colour on the ends and wouldn't put any on shorter layers, same around the face but not top section, if I have used say 20vol on ends leave about 30mins then go back in and take bleach up a little higher for the last 10mins to break any lines up!

Always works for me an the backcomded sections when brushed out breaks up any harsh lines!

So many different techniques to this be imaginative! :)

Thanks for the advice everyone, think i'll be giving it a go this week so i'll let you know how i get on! :)

Latest posts

Back