help becoming beauty therapy college tutor!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeautyPrincess.

Reaction score
hi lovely geeks! :hug:

I was just wondering how i go about becoming a tutor? what qualifications i need etc..

obviously i already have my levels 12&3, salon & spa experience of 4 years but would love to do the teaching side of beauty therapy!

any help would be great, thanks in advance :)

xox

Hi,

If you want to teach in a college, most of the time you will need a PTLLS Award (Preparing to teach in the lifelong learning sector) I paid £260 for a 12 week course at my local college.

When you have finished this you will need to do the DTLLS Course which is 2 years (in most places).

During DTLLS you will need to accumulate about 150 teaching hours either working voluntarily or you may be able to get a teaching job and do your DTLLS on the side.

Either way, to teach in a college, you need PTLLS first which most colleges seem to offer.

Hi, sorry for hijacking your thread. I wish to become a beauty therapy tutor but I'm in Ireland. Anyone know where's the best place or way to do it here?

Thx

Last edited:
Becoming a tutor varies in any college, not just any country. You will generally find people "just fall into it" and stay because they love it. Those who don't love it, do not stay very long. It's hard work, long hours, and poor pay for the work you do.

However, if you want to give it a go, you can do one of two things.

Self-fund a PTTLS course. This will give you a head start. It will teach you the very basics of being a teacher and give you some idea about the industry.

You could also contact the HR department in your local FE college and see if they need a classroom assistant for a half-day or one day per week. This would be unpaid, but would give you a good idea about whether you like the teaching role.

Latest posts

Back