Help, hairdresser allergic to PPD

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

khamp

Reaction score
Hi,

I am a 21 year old hair dresser and learned today I am allergic to ppd. My boss may be willing to switch to a ppd free color line, knowing for sure thats what has been causing my hands to break out. Would that be safe or should I look into going back to school and switching careers?

Last edited:
My friend worked under a stylist who was HIGHLY allergic to PPD.
The stylist just wore gloves mixing, applying and rinsing colour.
And I think, was a very tidy worker so as not to risk flicking any onto herself.

Be very careful, one of my students from a year ago had to leave just months after finishing her level 2 and couldn't even do her level 3 as she had let the allergy get so bad that she then began reacting to any wet work and substances like hairspray, mousse, perfumes etc. would trigger really bad reactions. She was in so much pain and even c/b/d were causing problems for her so she had a career switch. Was such a shame as she was v.good and would have done really well but I think she let it get too bad before seeking treatment and didn't wear gloves religiously.

Wella innosense range is PPD and PDT free permanent colour.

Hi,

I am a 21 year old hair dresser and learned today I am allergic to ppd. My boss may be willing to switch to a ppd free color line, knowing for sure thats what has been causing my hands to break out. Would that be safe or should I look into going back to school and switching careers?
Hi I am a senior stylist allergic to ppd! I have been working as a Stylist for 12 years now and I manage ok. Keep gloved up, make sure all your colours have thorough washes at least 3 shampoos if you are working with dyed data hair maybe try and cut it before you colour so you don't have to touch it as much when it's wet after ( I can touch dry coloured hair but not wet something about the chemistry). I also take antihistamines when I need them and use dermalex irritation to allergic reaction cream and their eczema dermatitis cream and also cetamecragol cream is really good moisturiser from doctor. I tend to use direct dyes and if I want lighter pieces I have bleach in foil (am also allergic to this) and each one is rinsed off individualy so not to touch my scalp. The direct dyes I use are crazy colour, manic panic, directions, and Adore (which I have at the moment) also goldwell elumen are amazing colours so many different combinations can be created and have a very long staying power but they can be difficult to remove from the hair as their chemistry is different to other dyes. I have used these colours for many years and they are amazing help to heal your hair too! Wella innosense is not ppd or ptd free but contain lower levels of it. Hope this helps u?

Did you get tested for ppd? As my reactions that i was having was due to contact dermatitis. I changed my gloves, cut my nails, avoided colour for a week, avoided cutting for a week, then eventually gave myself a break from hairdressing. My reactions only trigger off now and again but not from colour, more from cutting. I hope your reaction get controlled but try easing off for a little while it might help. xoxo

Ye
[E="wonderwoman, post: 2465710, member: 40237"]Did you get tested for ppd? As my reactions that i was having was due to contact dermatitis. I changed my gloves, cut my nails, avoided colour for a week, avoided cutting for a week, then eventually gave myself a break from hairdressing. My reactions only trigger off now and again but not from colour, more from cutting. I hope your reaction get controlled but try easing off for a little while it might help. xoxo[/QUOTE]
Yes I've been tested at the hospital. I have contact dermatitis, allergic to ppd so when I come into contact with colour or touch wet hair that has been freahly coloured I have an allergic reaction. Maybe you should get tested too? Maybe there's some products your using that your allergic to? Xx

Latest posts

Back