Help making Shellac last longer on hairdressers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaLF

Reaction score
I work in a hair/beauty salon and I do the hairdressers' shellac for them, only thing is it doesn't last very long with them having their hands in water and the peroxide etc (I'm not a hairdresser so I've no clue what they do be using ha). I was thinking of putting a layer of builder gel under or over the shellac but I'm not sure if that would work? Has anyone any advice on what I could do to make the shellac last longer on them?
It's not my technique because it lasts for days on one of the part time girls until she comes into work and then it's chipping within a few more days. And it lasts on clients.
Thanks!

I tell the stylists to wear gloves just as you'd advise clients who do lots of cleaning, gardening etc. I can always tell those who do and those who don't!!!

I have a couple of hairdressers and have tried and tested lots of methods! I've found a NNO of Brisa Lite Sculpting Gel has been the best prescription in this instance. I also advocate lots of SolarOil and obviously gloves as much as possible xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Since I've been using IBX under shellac on the stylists at my salon (along with putting solar oil and hand cream behind reception, and telling them off for not wearing gloves!) the wear time on shellac has doubled!!

Since I've been using IBX under shellac on the stylists at my salon (along with putting solar oil and hand cream behind reception, and telling them off for not wearing gloves!) the wear time on shellac has doubled!!

Me too with fantastic results Shellac is now lasting 2 weeks on my hairdressers.

I have a couple of hairdressers and have tried and tested lots of methods! I've found a NNO of Brisa Lite Sculpting Gel has been the best prescription in this instance. I also advocate lots of SolarOil and obviously gloves as much as possible xx

Sent from my iPhone 5S using SalonGeek mobile app

Do you put it over or under the shellac?

They wear gloves when using tint, not so much bleach and not when washing hair. I can't really ask them to wear gloves when washing hair that wouldn't be very nice for the clients!
If using sculpting gel do you use it over or under the shellac??

You could also try applying a second layer of top coat for added strength and durability x

You could first try the brisa lite smoothing gel under the shellac. It's the perfect partner for shellac for more challenging nails. It gives extra strength and support. If this is not sufficient you can use the brisa lite sculpting gel under shellac. Always apply a gel or l&p under shellac. Not on top of it! The benefit from the brisa lites are that you don't have to remove the shine of the natural nail before applying. This is a huge advantage!

The only thing that I've found that lasts is double top coating. And rockstars!

I've tried Nail Prime and (out of desperation) Protein Bond...neither of which worked :( x

Thanks for all the replies! I'll try gel under the shellac!

I know it's not recommended but I have occasionally used a gel primer under shellac on clients that have really bad lifting/chipping and for hairdressers.
It was a desperate last ditch attempt and it worked wonders though it makes the removal a lot more difficult!!!
I use the NSI Balance gel primer!
Please don't give me about for suggesting this but it works really well for me in times of desperation!
I had one of my clients come in today that I used a primer on (shellac never stays in her) and her shellac was still perfect apart from the growth, it had been 3 weeks :) removal was pretty hard though!
Hope this helped!
Xxx

I know it's not recommended but I have occasionally used a gel primer under shellac on clients that have really bad lifting/chipping and for hairdressers.
It was a desperate last ditch attempt and it worked wonders though it makes the removal a lot more difficult!!!
I use the NSI Balance gel primer!
Please don't give me about for suggesting this but it works really well for me in times of desperation!
I had one of my clients come in today that I used a primer on (shellac never stays in her) and her shellac was still perfect apart from the growth, it had been 3 weeks :) removal was pretty hard though!
Hope this helped!

Xxx

Thank you!!!! I'll try this! Is it the one that essentially dries out the nail? I'm just trying to figure out if it's the same one I have as I use NSI too!

Thank you!!!! I'll try this! Is it the one that essentially dries out the nail? I'm just trying to figure out if it's the same one I have as I use NSI too!

It's NSI Balance Bond, normally used as a primer for Balance UV gel, but I find it brilliant with shellac for clients prone to lifting and chipping! Xxx

It's NSI Balance Bond, normally used as a primer for Balance UV gel, but I find it brilliant with shellac for clients prone to lifting and chipping! Xxx

Perfect that's the one I have! I'll try that next time thank you :D

I use young nails protein bond along the free edge of my hairdresser clients nails when doing shellac and they never ever chip x

Latest posts

Back