Help me please, anxiety issues

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nicolexoxoxoxo

Reaction score
Hello, I just wanted to make this post because this is something I have been thinking about for a while but I am not sure how to fix it. I live in Virginia, and I did my cosmetology school through highschool, during my junior and senior year. During my senior year I worked at a Supercuts for around 9 months, but after I graduated and got my license, I wanted a better salon and change for myself. I have been at the salon I’m at now for around 11 months. and during my cosmetology school I wasn’t fought a lot of useful things for a real salon. So I am technically apprenticing through this salon. Which I am very happy here. The education is great and the people are great. But I have extreme anxiety about doing hair. I am just so so so nervous that I am going to mess it up, or they will not like it. I have wanted to do this since I was 6. I’ll bing my dream but I just didn’t think I would be the one making it difficult for myself. I am 19, I am the youngest one at the salon so I just feel like everyone looks at me like I’m young and naive and that I have no business doing hair and especially doing there hair. But I feel like if I had my confidence up it would help the situation. I would appreciate any advice y’all choose to give me, thank you for reading this book I just wrote and leave your advice below :) thanks so much!

...I am 19, I am the youngest one at the salon so I just feel like everyone looks at me like I’m young ...

You’re 19 years old. Of course you are young and inexperienced. You have around another 40 years of working so plenty of time to gain experience in a wide variety of areas and spend those years enjoying the ride.

Looking back, you wouldn’t expect your 10 year old self to be able to be able to handle the things you can easily do at say, 16, would you? Look at how much you’ve learnt in 6 years.
When the clients look at you, they’re probably remembering being your age and thinking ‘lucky you’ to have everything in front of you and to already be working in the career that you enjoy. (I didn’t train in hairdressing until my forties.)

Please stop making yourself have unrealistic expectations regarding your knowledge and abilities. I’m sure what you’re currently doing is perfectly ok. When you start to feel anxious, try to look at things from the opposite view...Instead of worrying about what you don’t know, try to think positively about all these new skills and techniques you are looking forward to learning.

You need to start practising techniques to reframe your thinking so that instead of reacting negatively to a situation, you actively try to find the positives in it. Again, it’s a skill that takes practice and you will get better at doing it, the more you actively practise.

I wish you all the best in your wonderful career.

Please don’t worry about this. All of us start somewhere I felt like this and within two years at my salon I was the busiest therapist. Just be confident in your abilities. And prove any customers that may think you’re inexperienced wrong!!!

I sometimes suffer from the same problem. I get my good days and bad days. It’s normal and you’re not alone. X

I felt exactly the same at 19 and now I’m 25 with a big clientele in a busy salon. The only way I grew confidence was by pushing myself no matter how scared I was about messing up... sure I made a few mistakes but I soon learnt and never made them again! The more experience you have the more your confidence will grow so try not to let your nerves hold you back from getting that experience!

Latest posts

Back