Help, please: disheartened tech

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queen McKean

Reaction score
I have been doing acrylic enhancements for many years with no problems until today. I applied a set of natural acrylics to a client on thursday who had no allergies or problems with acrylic enhancements although this is the first time she had been to me. Today I received a phone call that she had to visit the on call doctor last night due to all of her fingers being red, severly itchy and blistered. I assumed that she had an allergic reaction to the acrylic but apparently the doctor said it was an infection and has prescribed anti-biotics, he apparently also put this down to poor hygiene. I am dismayed as I always keep my station immaculate, follow strict health & safety and sanitise & sterilise inbetween all clients. I am correct in thinking that if it was an infection it wouldn't be evenly covering all 10 fingers? Feeling a bit lost and inadequate now, thanks in advance for any help x

To be honest with you I would want a second opinion. Doctor or not, he's not really in a position to say that its an infection caused by your poor hygiene, surely samples would have to go off to labs to determine all that? Red, itching and blistering doesnt sound infection-like anyway, it sounds far more like an allergic reaction. Has this client definitely been to a doctor? It just doesnt sound right that a doctor would say what she has said.

Dont be disheartened, if you know yourself that your practices are hygienic and you do a proper client consultation and all your paperwork is in order I dont think you should worry. Ask your client to get something in writing from the doctor and then you can take it from there :hug:

To be honest with you I would want a second opinion. Doctor or not, he's not really in a position to say that its an infection caused by your poor hygiene, surely samples would have to go off to labs to determine all that? Red, itching and blistering doesnt sound infection-like anyway, it sounds far more like an allergic reaction. Has this client definitely been to a doctor? It just doesnt sound right that a doctor would say what she has said.

Dont be disheartened, if you know yourself that your practices are hygienic and you do a proper client consultation and all your paperwork is in order I dont think you should worry. Ask your client to get something in writing from the doctor and then you can take it from there :hug:

Thank you so much for your help, it definately does sound like an allergic reaction to me too although I have never had to deal with anything like this before. I did think that perhaps he should have taken swabs to determine what it is before issuing any medicines. The client is coming back to see me on Friday and I am unsure what to do. My friend thinks I should offer a refund?

Definitely dont give a refund!! It could be seen as you accepting liability. When she sees you on Friday what is she expecting from you? Personally I would be loath to offer a treatment because her symptoms sound like an allergic reaction, and I know the doctor said otherwise but I'm still very sceptical about what the doctor has apparently said. I would have thought that your client would need to see a dermatologist, because if it had been about poor hygiene then your client would have bacterial/fungal infection, weeping tissue/pus perhaps, to the best of my knowledge blisters dont occur as a result of poor hygiene. Do you get free legal advice with your insurance? Most companies do, so maybe give them a ring and get their advice on the matter.

Definitely dont give a refund!! It could be seen as you accepting liability. When she sees you on Friday what is she expecting from you? Personally I would be loath to offer a treatment because her symptoms sound like an allergic reaction, and I know the doctor said otherwise but I'm still very sceptical about what the doctor has apparently said. I would have thought that your client would need to see a dermatologist, because if it had been about poor hygiene then your client would have bacterial/fungal infection, weeping tissue/pus perhaps, to the best of my knowledge blisters dont occur as a result of poor hygiene. Do you get free legal advice with your insurance? Most companies do, so maybe give them a ring and get their advice on the matter.

I feel exactly the same about accepting responsibility if a refund is given and feel confident in my hygiene procedures, I also did a full consultation and had her fill the card out as I always do. She said she would come in on Friday to show me but I think perhaps she will try to get a refund and this is her reason. I also thought if it had been infection it wouldn't be on all ten fingers so wide spread? I was thinking of phoning my insurance in the morning to see what they have to say, Thanks again for your help.

Latest posts

Back