Some sort of infection in my nails/cuticles, please help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rachofsunshine

Reaction score
Hi,

About a month ago I had gels on and i noticed lifting on one of my finger nails. I saw all this sort of peeling and debris under the nail, so I cut it down and it looked horrible - photo attached when I removed the gel, the nail was like chalk way past the end of the free edge, it was just completely dead and I had to cut quite a bit off leaving this green crust underneath.

Then I noticed that the same finger on the other hand was very stained yellow, and was developing a more minor version of the same thing. I bought a fungal solution but it just seemed to be so potent and made the skin peel and sore.

I put nothing on my nails for a few weeks but I’m going away now for holiday so I got acrylics... my cuticles have been ridiculously itchy red and swollen ever since, and bumping up too which was the first thing to happen before my some sort of fungal infection? I’m just not sure if its related or if it’s contact dermatitis, as I used to work at a hairdressers removing bleach all the time with no gloves, which irritated my hands massively.

Is there anything I can do to stop the itching and swelling of my cuticles and fingers?? Should I remove the nails? And does anyone know what might of caused this in the first place? Help please
F3FEE80D-9BD0-4806-813C-D485E52C71D4.jpeg

FF918A77-2F2C-410D-899E-CA67F3CC817D.jpeg

Hi,

About a month ago I had gels on and i noticed lifting on one of my finger nails. I saw all this sort of peeling and debris under the nail, so I cut it down and it looked horrible - photo attached when I removed the gel, the nail was like chalk way past the end of the free edge, it was just completely dead and I had to cut quite a bit off leaving this green crust underneath.

Then I noticed that the same finger on the other hand was very stained yellow, and was developing a more minor version of the same thing. I bought a fungal solution but it just seemed to be so potent and made the skin peel and sore.

I put nothing on my nails for a few weeks but I’m going away now for holiday so I got acrylics... my cuticles have been ridiculously itchy red and swollen ever since, and bumping up too which was the first thing to happen before my some sort of fungal infection? I’m just not sure if its related or if it’s contact dermatitis, as I used to work at a hairdressers removing bleach all the time with no gloves, which irritated my hands massively.

Is there anything I can do to stop the itching and swelling of my cuticles and fingers?? Should I remove the nails? And does anyone know what might of caused this in the first place? Help please View attachment 209195
View attachment 209194
You are clearly having a reaction to something. You need to get everything off your nails pronto. The longer you remain in contact with the allergen the worse it will get.

The first thing you must do is get your nails healed. Keep them clean and short and get yourself a good quality cuticle oil that contains jojoba and vitamin E to nurture the new growth.

I have a friend going through this at the moment. She uses press on nails to disguise the best of them if she goes out with the worst three or four wrapped in sticky plaster. [emoji53]

To find out exactly what you are allergic to you need to ask your GP for an allergy test. This is worth the effort as there are products about these days that might be safe for you to use in the future.

Ikon.iQ Nails manufacture a lot of hypoallergenic gel products that could be the answer for you in the long run. They also sell thicker nitrile gloves for when you are working.

There is also a Facebook group Nail Technicians Allergy Support Group that you might find helpful.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back