Help Please on Credit card machines

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Zammo

Reaction score
Hi there,

I was just wondering if anyone knows who is the best provider to go with for a chip and pin (switch/visa terminal) for my little salon. I'm not actually working there full time as yet but as you all probably know the majority pay on switch and we all spend far more on VISA!!!!!

I'm just asking as some of the monthly fees seem a little high and I believe we get charged per transaction too!!

Will I ever make money in this game???????????
Thanks
Danielle

Hi Danielle, in my experience (and I've tried 3 of the major brands) Streamline seem to be the best, not necessarily for their machine, which is fine, but they seem to have less down-time that some of the other retail-owners near me experience. With regard to what you pay...it's up to you to negotiate..try not to pay anymore than 2 and a half per cent plus standard transaction rate...a lot has to do with who your bank recommends. HTH

I too use streamline and fees are quite reasonable. You could always charge your customers a 50p transaction fee to absorb the charge or put your prices up slightly. Most clients using a small business but want the convenience of using their cards usually don't mind a small surcharge for the privilege.

I have heard that HSBC are good at negotiating cheaper terms for you if you bank with them I am thinking about transferring over myself...

Well I bank with Barclays but as I have a home based salon they wanted way more than if working in a shop premises - nearly 5% per transaction :Scared: . So I phoned around and ended up with Streamline at about 2.7% for credit cards and 35p per transaction for debit cards. Monthly fee was higher at £19 per month. But my retail sales have gone through the roof!! Before I would be lucky to sell a bottle of oil a week! Had a quick look back over the past 3 months for you since relocating my business back at home - worst week was zilch, best week was £220. I average about £100 per week. PLus people have add on services too - the extra pedicure, facial etc. Best move I ever made, and cost wise for me is about £1.50 a day!

Just a quite thank you for the advice, I think that proves that it's essential to retail without it. How are you finding working from home, have you a large client base from a shop and then to working at home?? Sorry just curious as it's something i've been considering for a while.

Thanks
Danielle

My client base is from Ads in Yellow Pages, Thomson Local, Yell.com and word of mouth of course.

I started from home and then rented space in a hair salon for 2 years, but it was a naff location and had no walk in trade. To cut a VERY long story sgort I decided to relocate back home as I now had a spare room to set up in. But yes, as an overhead my card machine is well worth it!

Latest posts

Back