Help please, peeling cuticles

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DixieD

Reaction score
I need some advise please,
I am just a newby to nails and I did a ladies shellac and stupid me I forgot to take my cuticle remover or cuticle away with me and low and be hold she had the worst over grow cuticles I have ever seen, they were half way down her nails.
So I soaked her nails in warm water and did my best to remove, push and nipper her cuticles. I thought I had done a pretty good job . My big worry was that the shellac would lift. Anyway the lady has come back of her holidays and I bumped into her and asked about her nails ... Shellac is doing great no lifting at all.
But she said that the skin above her cuticles has been peeling and dry. She said she has been putting on E45 on them. She said that it doesn't hurt ,it's just been rough. Didn't look like it had been bleeding .
So after a long story ( sorry) hope you have not fallen asleep ......
My question is.. Is it peeling because of my diy manicure or some reaction to shellac ?
Xxx

I'm a little confused about the area you are talking about. Do you mean the skin around the base of the nail is dry?

Hi there.
I was just wondering if it was actually the cuticles or the eponychium? X

Sorry I was a bit vague , it's the skin running up from the cuticle to first joint on the finger. Hope that make sense !! Xxx

Hi there,

I could be wrong but from your description, if her natural nails were in the state you're describing I would say, there's a good chance she had a slight bacterial condition. You've obviously done your best, to nip back the eponychium, but to be honest id be slightly worried that the shellac could lift without proper PEP.

But I wouldn't worry too much. We've all done it! I once went to a ladies house to preform spray tans for her and her 10 hens (hen do) and I forgot the solution! I had to excuse myself drove back home, and I never forgot it again!

Good luck, don't be too hard on yourself. Xx

Yes I won't forget my cuticle remover again that's for sure... Luckily the shellac has not lifted at all, which I was worried about, cuticles were in such a bad way it was obvious she didn't look after her nails apart from filling them. She could have done with a full manicure really. Xxx

Sorry I was a bit vague , it's the skin running up from the cuticle to first joint on the finger. Hope that make sense !! Xxx

So it sounds like you removed the non living tissue (cuticle) from the nail plate and were happy with that when you finished the service. Also the Shellac has adhered ok to the nail plate as it is still intact, therefore confirming that you had done the job of removal ok within the restrictions of lack of product.

It all sounds good so far, apart from this woman's skin is peeling on her actual finger if I have understood this correctly? She has been on holiday where she will either up her aftercare or decrease it, depending on her personality. If she has been dehydrated, sunburnt and not applied Solar Oil and hand cream as instructed her skin will show signs of being under stress if not cared for.

You've seen them, we havn't, so it's all guess work from here. But what was it about the appearance of them that made you think it was anything else than a lack of aftercare or generally looking after her skin?

I was so unsure what it was to be honest... She said her skin had been sore and that it was peeling , looked like peeling in strips up her finger, she said it had been rough and catching on things. She said she had been putting E45 on it. I did put solar oil on at the end , could that have done it, as in a reaction !!! I would have love to have taken a photo but didn't want to ask.
I have said give me a ring when she wants them removed and I am nervous of using remover near her skin .

When you removed the inhibition layer from the top coat at the end, did you carefully remove it being mindful not wipe the uncured layer and DSperse all over her finger?

I'm curious where you say she used the word sore. If she had sore Eponychiums I would just be guessing that maybe you were a little heavy handed with the removal of cuticle where you had no products to help you, but as you say it's on her finger and not the Eponychium then it can't be you having to have worked harder on removal.

Yes was super careful with everything. As I am new to this I am taking my time as want to do a good job. Was so angry with myself for forgetting my cuticle away. I can't help thinking it was do with me removing her overgrown cuticles,

I am trying not to let it knock my confidence and use it as a leaning curve. It's hard though as I want my clients to be happy with the service I give.
A lot of lessons learned.... CHECK MY BAG....

Latest posts

Back