Help please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tiffany.

Reaction score
Hi

I gave recently trained with CND, have my final day left on the 14th of March so been practicing my l&p on friends/family. My set I did on myself are fine, no lifting. However, I did a friends nails who is a rather fussy friend to say the least and she started to say they were lifting a little. When I saw them I could see it was as if she had been picking at them from the Side? They'd like ripped from the side walls of the nail. This was only my first set so wasn't too worried I just thought I'll try even harder with my prep next time but then I saw her and she said one had just come off. When I looked there was damage to the nail, like a few layers of her nail had ripped, so I'm wondering whether she pulled it off?? She did admit she was 'messing' with then when it happened. Anyway I re did them yesterday, was really pleased with them however I got a text later on saying one of her nails had just split? I asked her how & at first she said she didn't know it just happened but then after I asked her again admitted she was picking excess off the back of the nail and that's when she noticed it. Now I know I'm only a beginner & faults are inevitable but i really did Check down the c barrel and under the tip and there was no excess, they really did look quite good in my opinion. She's a picker so I'm wondering whether it's that?? Or have these things happened to anyone else?? It's just so disheartening when I tried so hard, plus I didn't charge so maybe she isn't too fussed about damaging them?
Also I did my sister the night before last, again they looked lovely to say it was only my second set but today she's said one has ripped off?? I've asked her how and she hasn't got back to me yet, I'm still waiting. Again though I don't think she's the kindest to her nails because when I applied Shellac a while ago it chipped on a few nails but I applied it to other peoples nails & they were fine?
I suppose it's hard to tell until I do a few other sets and if their splitting or ripping off to many of the people I'm applying them to it's something I'm doing wrong?? It's just really disheartening! :Scared:

Sorry about the rant, Im only on my fourth set but feel like I haven't a clue what to think or whether it's something I'm doing or them? Oh it's hard work this acrylic malarky :sad:

P.S my sister has just got back to me now and said she got it caught on her top and it snapped down the middle then it all came off - does this mean I haven't built up the apex properly or it was too thin x

Any advice would be good XXX

And are these types of problems common? In the beginning? Xxx

Hi,
Don't be too disheartened you are still learning after all - and you are bound to question your techniques the minute something goes wrong!! I remember when we did our training people kept going in each time saying 'this set only lasted so long' or 'it was just a day before they all came off' !! I remember our trainer being very patient saying each time "Have a look at the nails you've done, see if you can identify the problem and if they come off just keep putting them back on. Check each step is done correctly, remove cuticle thoroughly, mix ratio etc etc" but the basic message was practice makes perfect, and don't be too hard on yourself.

I do have to say though it sounds like you have a couple of pickers there - when I have practiced on friends and family I have given them the very hard word on not picking, proper aftercare etc and that the nails are not meant to be indestructible. You may be questioning yourself too quickly when in fact they are not helping you if they are doing more damage...just a thought?

Chin up :) hope that helps

Practise does make perfect.
I remember feeling the same at the very beginning . It doesnt help if people you are practicing on are pickers or if people use there nails as tool . I tell my clients your nails are jewels not tools . Keep up with practicing it will get easier and soon it will come as second nature.

Keep your chin up. I also think if they're not paying fir them they don't tend to look after them. They don't think about the loss, they just figure you'll do them another set.
Keep us posted. X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back