Help Please!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

perfect10

Reaction score
Hi lovely geeks,

This is the first time I have done a proper post, so Hi to everyone, and also a massive thanks - I have found all your advice so helpful and inspirational. And its nice to know other people are as nail obsessed as I am!

Really need some help and advice. I completed my training 3 months ago and as I work part time want to build up my client base during my off days. Seem to have hit a brick wall on getting new clients though! Have got a couple, who are great and love the work I do, but can't seem to build on it. I have advertised, got notices up at the gym, in shops etc along with my cards, am about to do a leaflet drop etc, but don't seem to be getting anywhere. Starting to feel very down about the whole thing!

I know word of mouth is the best form of advertising, but has anyone got any advice on how to get the first clients so that word of mouth can do its thing?

Any advice much appreciated!

Ali x

Have you been on yel.com?
You can get a free listing if you are a new business.....! That might be of some help.

You say you are about to do a leaflet drop, why not enclose a special offer in your leaflet like £5 off any treatment till the end of October, you know, something along those lines. Maybe advertise in your local papers, free ones aswell.

I have stuck up a before and after picture in my local post office & church playschool, I have kept it simple. A pic of my nail biters nail before and after with 'this could be you' written underneath and name telephone etc. It gives people something visual to look at rather than just a load of prices for different treatments. HTH

Thats a good idea mate.... visual is good

Hi,

along the same lines as the other replies...

my nail tech gives me a free visit every year (my...how time flies when you're having fun :lol: ). Since it's coming up to Christmas, you could offer anyone that has 2 visits or more before mid December (for example), get's a 1/2 price visit for Christmas.

When I was looking for a nail tech I was noticing the following stuff:

* before and after pictures work 100 times better than words alone.

* make sure your own nails are stunning, especially when going shopping...even if it's just to the supermarket. Designs that catch the eye but aren't too garish work a charm. People will always comment.

* Introductory offers catch the eye too, as do things like free tea and cofee when they visit.

* small giveaways like a tiny bottle of nail oil and a small file are great. You would be surprised how many people don't really understand how great using nail oil is, until they actually start to use it on a regular basis. Once they see the difference you're helping them to make they'll be back.

Hope this helps.
Sue.

Maybe do some really funky nails for some people you know for free, and give them some of your cards so that they can recommend you when they get compliments from others.

Maybe go to some business networking meetings??

This seems to be a prob for most of us, getting our name out there with so much competition so that we stand out from the rest. Get yourself a good logo that is instantly recognisable and then try and advertise everywhere - your car, newsagents, paper etc and soon more and more people will know about you.

I have found that business has been very quiet compared to normal, school holidays etc, but I think some people are really feeling the pinch of mortgage rate rises and this is afecting their spending power. It has picked up in the last week or so, so just keep plugging away and in time you will get new clients.

Another good way is to offer an intro scheme - reward your clients for their recommendations and give them £5 off their next set of infills. This has worked well for me in the past.

Thanks guys, some great ideas there. Will definately include an offer on my fliers. And the before/after pics is a fab idea - would neve have thought of it but will certainly use it! Feel motivated again!

Ali x

Hi,

I was going to suggest the same as Sarah, offer your existing clients a discount/money off treatments if they recommend people.

I'm also in the process of setting up. I often have people in shops etc. comment on my nails (usually airbrushed somehow or French Manicure with flowers/rhinestones to be a bit more eyecatching) so I'm intending to carry some business cards around with me so when people comment I can give them a card and hopefully get business that way.

B x

Hi again,

After feeling down yesterday, and bemoaning my lack of clients, I had 3 messages on my phone yesterday from new clients wanting to book in! Couldn't believe it - am chuffed to bits. I guess things always turn up when you least expect it!

Thanks all for the great ideas - will be doing all of them! B, have pm'd you back - thank you so much for the support!

Ali x

Latest posts

Back