help re keratin treatments

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hairjunkie

Reaction score
Hi I'm new here so not sure if I'm in the right forum - sorry if I am but i"m after expert advice on the safest keratin hair treatments out there as there are so many. I've come across a new, supposedly formaldehyde-free, Kerastraight product and like the idea that you don't have to leave it in for days. I've also heard of L'kerabelle which is supposedly formaldehyde free even when heated (although I gather the formaldehyde is only present and released when the product is heated).
Are you familiar with these products and do you know if they are safer than others. My main concern is that my 2 year old insists on sleeping with me and rubbing his cheek with my hair all night so I daren't cover it in anything nasty.
All the hairdressers I have spoken to seem only concerned about telling that their particular product is the best so i'd like some professional, impartial advice. :)

Hi I'm new here so not sure if I'm in the right forum - sorry if I am but i"m after expert advice on the safest keratin hair treatments out there as there are so many. I've come across a new, supposedly formaldehyde-free, Kerastraight product and like the idea that you don't have to leave it in for days. I've also heard of L'kerabelle which is supposedly formaldehyde free even when heated (although I gather the formaldehyde is only present and released when the product is heated).
Are you familiar with these products and do you know if they are safer than others. My main concern is that my 2 year old insists on sleeping with me and rubbing his cheek with my hair all night so I daren't cover it in anything nasty.
All the hairdressers I have spoken to seem only concerned about telling that their particular product is the best so i'd like some professional, impartial advice. :)

Hi there,

There are a lot of keratin treatments out there that state they are formaldehyde free, jury's out whether they are or not. All I can tell you from my experience, what ive learnt, the danger of the formaldehyde is to the hairdresser as we are the ones that inhale the fumes day in day out, it is the formaldehyde that is the sealant. I personally do not trust any that say they are formaldehyde free, if they were they wouldn't work. This is still a relatively new product and the format seems to be changing all the time. Once your hair is sealed no more fumes should come from your hair, never been asked that question it's a difficult one to answer. I have young children that snuggle up to me occasionally and I have the brazillian, but if in doubt leave well alone. I ask children to be taken out of the room when I'm doing the treatment, but I would if I was perming or bleaching, they are all chemicals and not nice for little lungs. It's your decision don't think anyone can answer that one for you.

Not much help I know x

Hi there,

There are a lot of keratin treatments out there that state they are formaldehyde free, jury's out whether they are or not. All I can tell you from my experience, what ive learnt, the danger of the formaldehyde is to the hairdresser as we are the ones that inhale the fumes day in day out, it is the formaldehyde that is the sealant. I personally do not trust any that say they are formaldehyde free, if they were they wouldn't work. This is still a relatively new product and the format seems to be changing all the time. Once your hair is sealed no more fumes should come from your hair, never been asked that question it's a difficult one to answer. I have young children that snuggle up to me occasionally and I have the brazillian, but if in doubt leave well alone. I ask children to be taken out of the room when I'm doing the treatment, but I would if I was perming or bleaching, they are all chemicals and not nice for little lungs. It's your decision don't think anyone can answer that one for you.

Not much help I know x

Thanks for taking the time to reply, I kind of suspected it wouldn't be as straightforward as I would have liked. I think I'm going to go for one of the treatments that washes out on the same day. If anyone can recommend one and a good salon that does it, please do.

Latest posts

Back