Help! Should I invest in a Gel nail system?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jssgarden

Reaction score
Hello everyone, i own a Salon (well technically my mother) in the Valley area of California. We have been doing manicure, pedicure, and acrylic nails for a while. We are trying to build the customers here.

I'm totally in love with Japanese Gel nails and also the benefit of gel on the natural nails. Therefore i'm thinking of taking a Gel training course and open the Gel service in my shop. However, my mother (the owner) did not like the idea so much, as Gel is a very pricey product, so we would have no choice but bump up our price a lot for Gel (a regular acrylic full-set is $20, as opposed to a regular Gel set would be $30 or more) Our area is more of farmers and Hispanics residents than high class fashionista, there's only 1 community college and a new University. And many of our customers try to bargain as cheap as possible (sorry i'm not trying to discriminate here). Do you think it's such a good idea to invest in Gel? If we do we would be the only place in our whole area that offer Gel. But most people here only know about acrylic, it will be a pain to try to persuade them into something that's pricier.

I also have been testing on Bella Forma Gel and am quite pleased by the product, it is simple to apply and can be built as hard as an acrylic nail. I haven't tested on how long does it last. I haven't tried Bio Sculpture and Calgel because they require training courses. But if i'm serious about doing gel and benefit from it i don't mind to do all of them. So please give me some advice!!!

Last edited:
If I could just ask, what are Japanese Gel Nails and also what do you mean by the benefit of gel on the natural nail?

There are many gel brands out there and I dont believe that the product is significantly more expensive than the products for a Liquid and Powder enhancement.

As the technology and application are completely different, I would advise that you do a course in gel, which you seem interested in doing anyway.

There are two types of gel - hard, buff off gel and softer soak off gel.

Biosculpture and Calgel are softer soak off gels. Hard, buff off gels are for example CND Brisa, Light Elegance, Akzentz and many others which I cannot think of off the top of my head LOL.

Hello, thanks for replying. When i said Japanese Gel nails i meant Soak-off Gel system in general, sorry for not clarifying that. And yes Soak-off Gel products are significantly more expensive that Liquid and Powder. For instant try comparing the amount of sets you will get out of a tiny 7g gel pot as opposed to a big, cheaper 28g liquid/powder? Most gel nails shops that i know of are all Japaneses own and they charge way higher than me ($50-$90+) They are located in highly populated area such as NYC and San Fran though.

I haven't taken the Gel course yet as i'm still debating over doing it or not.

The benefit i like about gel is that it doesn't damage real nails as much as acrylic. It looks more natural. Also so smell and no drilling, and endless ability for nail arts.

Last edited:
......The benefit i like about gel is that it doesn't damage real nails as much as acrylic. It looks more natural. Also so smell and no drilling, and endless ability for nail arts.

Liquid and Powder enhancements should not damage the natural nail - it is nothing to do with the product, but the way they are applied or removed.

There is also no need for drilling with liquid and powder, this is only one method of fiiling the nails.

All of these things come down to training and if you are trained well then you will not cause any damage to the natural nail with whatever enhancement product you use.

thanks for replying but you do not seem to answer my questions :rolleyes: before we stray out of topic and go on about my skill abt L&P, i would like to say that im confident in our L&P skill and i do have knowledge about it. So now i would like to repeat the question: im into gel now and would like to know if its a great idea to bring gel service to my salon or not, as it is costly and my customers base is as i stated above. I just want some advices about marketing skill please, thank you.

Sorry, I wasnt trying to stray from the question, but if your reason for moving to gel was because you felt it was kinder to the natural nail then, this is not a valid reason. Sorry.

I think there is a place for salons to cover all types of enhancement product. Not everyone will be suited to l&p so you would be able to cater for those who didnt want it.

However you do need to look at your customer base and potential customer base as to whether it would be worthwhile for you.

If someone wanted to go from say l&p to eventually having their natural nails then a soak off gel is a good half way house, not as strong as l&p but stronger than a natural nail.

This is something which you will not know if it will work until you try it.

Bio and Calgel are only two options for soak off gels.

thank you! i guess i will start with clear and pink & white first to see the react of customers.

do you think i should offer a discount to get them try my service? However i'm afraid if i lower my price now it'll be hard to get it up later

thank you! i guess i will start with clear and pink & white first to see the react of customers.

do you think i should offer a discount to get them try my service? However i'm afraid if i lower my price now it'll be hard to get it up later

I do gel only and I luv them. I have to say that on my clients they do tend to stay on better with no lifting than acrylic. Also I find that I can make them really thin and still have strength.

I stepped out on a limb two and a half years ago and started doing gels. Was the only one in my small city. They have really taken off. My clients will never do acrylic again. (or so they say lol) I just like them better personally.

Price range, I started out cheaper than acrylic until I developed my skill. After that I charged the same price. Now that I've mastered it I've raised the price $2 for refill and $5 for full sets. Clients don't mind slight price increases. Just make sure you sell the discount as a special and not the true price.

By the time you use your entire
product you would've paid for your cost in the beginning. Even with cheaper prices. As far as $30 full sets, my clients wish I charged that much!!! Mine are $50. But I know u live in a rural area.

You would also b surprised how many sets you can get out of one of those little pots. It doesn't take much! I learned that the hard way ;) goodluck!!!

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at
http://uniquenailsbykeri.blog.com

Find me Facebook!
Search: Unique.Nails by Keri
And click Like!

omg thank you so much! you you started out with clear and P&W too? how many sets do you usually get out of a 7g pot?

the $30 fullset is for clear extension only. But our clear acrylic fullset is only $20 so i don't dare charge too much for gel. But my introducing price would be 50% off for 3 months! Do you think it's a good idea? and also, where do you buy your Shellac collection? Thank you!

PS: i've just read your blog, it is very helpful! Please keep it up!

Last edited:
Thank you much. :)

I just do clear only. I use gel as just an extension and the French is pretty out of style right now in my area. So I haven't tackled the p&w yet. But do what your clients want!

Shellac is amazing! I luv it! I get it from either http://www.premiernailsource.com or http://www.acebeautysupply.com

It takes the place of the pots of colored gel. Easier application and more vibrant colors.

If you go thru ACE I always suggest calling. Loretta is a doll face. But these are US distributers. Not sure where u r but if ur in the states definitely try them!

If I were you I would charge no less than $12 in order to pay for your cost. Also, practice on sweet friends at this price. I forgot to mention that. They will be more forgiving at shape and contouring issues. :)

As far as how many sets per pot I would contact the distributor with this question. I do gels pretty regularly and I go thru one 30g pot every 1 1/2 - 2 months. But I do mainly refills now and this takes a FRACTION of the product as the whole set. Just be sure to use EVERY suggested product by your manufacturer. I made that mistake once! Lol

Goodluck Hun and feel free to check my blog any time. :)

Keri Hemba
Social Agenda Salon
Jackson, MS USA
[email protected]
Visit my blog at
http://uniquenailsbykeri.blog.com

Find me Facebook!
Search: Unique.Nails by Keri
And click Like!

If you are looking for Shellac I would check out your local dist. first Ed Wyse, Cosmoprof to save on the shipping. There are many choices for soak off gels and have become two classifications.

Axxium, ManiQ, are soak offs that can take up to 20 mins to remove and are a bit stronger than the new soak offs. You can build a corner if needed with these but not an strong enhancement you will need a hard gel for that.

Then there are the second generation soak offs that are becoming a a substatite for polish and used more on nailural nails and these soak off in 5-10. These are gelish, polish pro, shellac, eco so quick, gelify etc.

For me pink and whites are the least look most of my clients wear so look at what your clients are requesting. If you go to manicuresthatlast.com there is on product specfic promo material. They also have very inexpensive prices to get something started.

As far as cost by the time with how little you use its worth the money put in, and allows to expand the client base you may have. I use a few different brands since some do have a better price point to applications than others.

I charge 20 for a "magic manicure" no drying time, no chipping for 2 weeks. Im doing a intro price for 15 while I get it going. I personally think it is easier to have my prices set and do promos/intro that raise my prices later I just state for a limited time only intro price.

Good luck to you.

Latest posts

Back