Help, should I stay or should I go ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukeofyork

Reaction score
hi geeks,

well where to begin.

i have been a manager of a city centre chain salon for a year now, i was offered this position after applying for a stylist position (i had not long finished my level 3 and only had 6 months salon experience behind me)

but i thought what the hell and through myself into the role taking on every challenge and not done to bad to be fair. i manage 6 stylists and often work 50 hour weeks but get paid for only 40 hours and at only just above national minimum wage.

over the year the job has taken its toll and due to a recent shake up within the company the pressure on me is greater than ever and i dont feel i can or should continue anymore.

i have been offered a rent a chair at a very reasonable rate, i am under no illusion that it will be easy, but i feel i will get so much more satisfaction working my butt off for myself rather than the corporate bigwigs !

the salon i work in does not do colour and i know i will need to bush up on these skills and i am happy in that knowledge.

i just need the advice, some words of wisdom to help me make this very scary leap.

any words of warning or anything i really need to consider before making this leap,

thanks x

I am guessing you work at Supercuts? They are the only ones I know who promote young people without much experience to the position of manager. They don't care much for education or advancing your skills - their business is paying as low a wage as possible.

If I were you I would go for it. Otherwise you'll never get anywhere.

Good luck!

If you dont do it, you'll always be thinking "what if"....
I completely agree, you should feel the fear and do it anyway hun. You sound like a committed hard worker, the foundations for being your own boss! Yes definately brush up on your colouring, but I think you should go for it :D
xxxx JoJo

Theres no chance if you don't take a chance!! ;) xx

hi geeks,

i just need the advice, some words of wisdom to help me make this very scary leap.

any words of warning or anything i really need to consider before making this leap,

thanks x

Hey you took on something most new girls would not entertain and by the sounds of it you got stuck in and managed it well :D you are obviously up for the challenge :D get yourself booked on some colour courses to brush up your skills... you will be just fine! I say... go for it and have fun xx

I am guessing you work at Supercuts? They are the only ones I know who promote young people without much experience to the position of manager. They don't care much for education or advancing your skills - their business is paying as low a wage as possible.

If I were you I would go for it. Otherwise you'll never get anywhere.

Good luck!

Was just thinking exactly this, Go for it :)

thanks for the encouragement guys and i have done it...handed in my notice on saturday

as from this monday i will be self employed and in a new salon......ahhhh,
i dont know what to do first scream with excitment or wet myself out of panic lol

as from this monday i will be self employed and in a new salon......ahhhh,
i dont know what to do first scream with excitment or wet myself out of panic lol

you'll be fine just scream wih excitement :)

Latest posts

Back