Help, which way next?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kimcol

Reaction score
Hi

Love this site and know there is a lot of advice on here which I have looked at but now feel more baffled then ever!

I trained last year with Training Solutions the complete nail technician course who use Salon Systems. Really enjoyed the course and have done pretty well since buliding up quite a few clients on a mobile basis. Only ever did 2 sets of Salon Systems gel as felt the product wasn't good and didn't want to risk losing clients because of it. Refused to offer gel until I found IBD gel which is far superior and I have good results. Very rarely get asked for silk, but am happy to use the salon systems stuff for them as they don't seem too bad.

Now, the crucial part, the acrylic! Have a number of clients who I use salon systems acrylic on which I can apply well and don't have a problem with application but I am sure there are better products out there if my expereince with the gel is anything to go by. Bought some of The Edge, but didn't like it. A lot of my clients don't like the smell and as I am mobile I don't like it especially if there are children around so I am thinking about a UV acrylic system. I know The Edge and Star Nails do it - are these what you call acry-gel? I have read good things on here about that and don't mind having to cure by lamp as long as the result is good and strong.

Sorry for this rambling monologue, but really need some help before I blow more well earned cash. (Spent a fortune setting up and don't use half the stuff!).

Welcome to the site.

My advice would be to minimize the odor of the Acrylic Monomer by using the habits and techniques that make it virtually odor free to use, rather than use a UV cured Acrylic L&P.

Monomer does not have to be odoriferous!! It is how you are using it that is making it so.

Do a search on odor control and I bet you will find there are things you can change that will reduce your odor by 80%. I will try to post the link for you later in this post.

UV cured Acrylic is the most likely product to cause sensitization and eventual allergic reaction. You must be very careful how you use it so that you yourself do not become affected. Many in time have to quit using it.

Here is the link. Read my post in this thread. I hope it helps.
http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/29831-monomer-odor.html?highlight=control+odor

kimcol said:
Hi

Love this site and know there is a lot of advice on here which I have looked at but now feel more baffled then ever!

I trained last year with Training Solutions the complete nail technician course who use Salon Systems. Really enjoyed the course and have done pretty well since buliding up quite a few clients on a mobile basis. Only ever did 2 sets of Salon Systems gel as felt the product wasn't good and didn't want to risk losing clients because of it. Refused to offer gel until I found IBD gel which is far superior and I have good results. Very rarely get asked for silk, but am happy to use the salon systems stuff for them as they don't seem too bad.

Now, the crucial part, the acrylic! Have a number of clients who I use salon systems acrylic on which I can apply well and don't have a problem with application but I am sure there are better products out there if my expereince with the gel is anything to go by. Bought some of The Edge, but didn't like it. A lot of my clients don't like the smell and as I am mobile I don't like it especially if there are children around so I am thinking about a UV acrylic system. I know The Edge and Star Nails do it - are these what you call acry-gel? I have read good things on here about that and don't mind having to cure by lamp as long as the result is good and strong.

Sorry for this rambling monologue, but really need some help before I blow more well earned cash. (Spent a fortune setting up and don't use half the stuff!).
The problems with UV and low odour L&P acrylics is they are further up the allergy ladder. Just because you cannot smell the monomer vapours does not mean they are less harmful in fact it can be quite the opposite. They are VERY allergenic. The smell will not harm children or adults for that matter or all us techs that use the traditional one would be ill!!! I have used the Edge UV acrylic as that is what I was trained in but didnt find it anywhere near as strong as traditional acrylics. I do not know if Acrygel has a smell or not, Star nails and The Edge UV gels are not what is known as Acrygel, it is made by a different company, so cannot comment on that.

Thanks, I will serach for effective ways of minimizing smell. I would like to carry on with acrylic as I like the end result. Just need to find a good quality acrylic. Does it follow that the more expensive the better the quality or can you get good stuff at the cheaper end?

kimcol said:
Thanks, I will serach for effective ways of minimizing smell. I would like to carry on with acrylic as I like the end result. Just need to find a good quality acrylic. Does it follow that the more expensive the better the quality or can you get good stuff at the cheaper end?
You get what you pay for ...CND L&P monomers and powders are the best I have tried and I have tried quite a few. You would need to do their induction course to be able to buy their enhancement products but that is really well worth the cost as you learn so much from them.

kimcol said:

http://www.thenailgeek.com/main/29831-monomer-odor.html?highlight=control+odor

There is the link I promised you.

Get hold of some product catalogues and actually compare prices ... you will be amazed that there is not much difference in price between the high end and the low end. But the perception of the products at the high end do count ... and yes, they are much better quality ... last longer ... better customer support ....better client recognition.

nailsbydesign said:
You get what you pay for ...CND L&P monomers and powders are the best I have tried and I have tried quite a few. You would need to do their induction course to be able to buy their enhancement products but that is really well worth the cost as you learn so much from them.

There is no cost when doing a Creative product conversion class, other than the Kit (and like you need that anyway to be able to do nails right?)

nailsbydesign said:
The problems with UV and low odour L&P acrylics is they are further up the allergy ladder. Just because you cannot smell the monomer vapours does not mean they are less harmful in fact it can be quite the opposite. They are VERY allergenic. The smell will not harm children or adults for that matter or all us techs that use the traditional one would be ill!!! I have used the Edge UV acrylic as that is what I was trained in but didnt find it anywhere near as strong as traditional acrylics. I do not know if Acrygel has a smell or not, Star nails and The Edge UV gels are not what is known as Acrygel, it is made by a different company, so cannot comment on that.

This is a product from the Michelle Porter range, it may have changed now to Spa Products International hth

I apologize for using the word "help" in the title of this thread, realise now it must be very annoying for all the experienced nail geeks! I will learn as i go along, but do appreicate any advice. So much to learn so little time!.

nailsbydesign said:
Star nails and The Edge UV gels are not what is known as Acrygel, it is made by a different company, so cannot comment on that.

Just wanted to say that Star Nails does make a product called Acrygel, here is the link.

http://www.cuccio.com/ads/star_ads.htm

Laura

The logo is the same for Spa products International, maybe it is all the same company now? Professional Nails April 06 page 13.

1999judy said:
The logo is the same for Spa products International, maybe it is all the same company now? Professional Nails April 06 page 13.

Perhaps it depends on which side of the pond you reside. Star Nails has had many ads for Acrygel in North American mags such as Nails & Nailpro. I don't know if the two companies are related at all though.

Laura

Star nails do an acrylic gel type system called VF21 Lyte you apply like an acrylic and cure like a gel, hard to get on with and if your used to usign a typical liquid and powder system why learn a new ssystem.

Creative Nail Design, EZ Flow and NSi all do quality training and products and lead the way on teh compeittion circuit in the UK.

Just contact each company and they will send you details, chat to them and see which one would work for you.

Latest posts

Back