Help with being mobile

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello!

So, I got my Level 2 Diploma in Beauty Therapy in July and haven't gone back to do my Level 3 but I am definitely thinking in taking some nail and tanning courses!

Anyway, I was wondering how I go about setting up being self employed and doing beauty treatments mobile?
Also, if you could link me to a site for beauty insurance that would be fab because I'm scared of getting fake ones!!

Any tips and advice would be useful.

Treatments I'll be offering are:
Facial Skincare
Waxing
Manicures
Pedicures
Eyelash / Eyebrow treatments
Make-up

Thanks x

If you look on this website

http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/selfemployed/register-selfemp.htm

It gives you the forms you need to fill out and send back,

Your tax yr runs from around start of April2013 - April2014 ... And so your 1st yrs books need to be submitted around oct 2014 next yr ... And pay your tax the following January 2015 ...
Or get an accountant to do your books - ( I do as I find it easier - I'd rather pay someone to do it and know its right)

Can I ask why your not going back to do L3??
I work at a college - and as a lecturer I would say do it now... Or you will regret it ...

Xxxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

First year books? Is that like all the income I make, ect? It's all very confusing! :( I was told I need to get beauty insurance aswell? :)

I just had a lot on to be honest so ended up not doing it and I'll have to wait till next September now, but shall definitely give it some thought :) I might try and see if I can start it part time in January?

Thanks for letting me know about registering as self employed. No idea where to start!

xxx

*** First year books? Is that like all the income I make, ect?
***It's all very confusing! :( I was told I need to get beauty insurance aswell? :)

I just had a lot on to be honest so ended up not doing it and I'll have to wait till next September now, but shall definitely give it some thought :) I might try and see if I can start it part time in January?

Thanks for letting me know about registering as self employed. No idea where to start!

xxx

*** yes you need beauty insurance - I suggest you look around as prices vary( Look at threads about insurance companies ..
the beauty guild / babtac / to name just 2 (there are of course many others)

** you need to pay your NI - nation insurance (this goes towards your state pension \ sick / maternity / unemployment cover ) this is usually £10 ish per month ...

*** income tax books - this is all your income (every penny given to you from treatments or products you've sold ... And all the receipts of everything you have purchased for the business / products / equipment / including petrol receipts or running of a car etc/
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/incometax/

If your still unsure after you've read the different threads / government websites I'd say see an accountant to set you up / as at least you will know it is correct ... But they will charge you ...

Xxxx

Sent from my iPhone using SalonGeek app

If I was you I would go some where to get business advice just to make sure you are fully clued up on everything!!!!! Before even thinkng about setting up mobile. I also agree with the other geeks comment on here about L3! As you may be best getting together some work experience first before setting up! And if you did try to look for a job.... Pretty much everyone asks for level 3 qualifications too!!! You need to think about massages, body electrical treatments, aromatherapy etc... These are all very popular treatments too.. Don't sell yourself short just because you want to get set up now!! Get qualifications, get work experience and then charge more.

You really need to be tax wise too... I'm sorry but you do. Because if you don't put tax beside every month from your takings you will soon end up in hot hot water when you have a massive tax bill to pay and no money to pay it.

You need to set yourself goals, a business plan etc. how much are you putting in to the business? How long will it take you to get the money back? How much do you need to earn to cover costs??

You need to remember all the nitty gritty stuff like client record cards etc

I have 3 folders for my business... One is client record cards. One is my weekly takings and one is my accounts. Because are you aware you need to keep EVERY single receipt for your business. Everything you pay out you need to keep proof of it.... You need your weekly takings as PROOF of your income and you need to back this all up with your bank statements!! This needs done every single month to keep on too of it!!!

You most definetly absolutely do need insurance. This is to cover YOUR back... So it's worth it!!

If I was you I would definetly get a little job somewhere to ease you in gently. There's so many more things to running a business. There's so much that goes on behind the scenes too.

I think you need to be completely wise before doing this.

Latest posts

Back