Help with consultation forms and contraindications

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LottieLou1

Reaction score
Hello,

I have previously done one day courses and I am now doing a full Beauty Therapy NVQ Level 2, as I feel the extra knowledge and qualification is important.

I have literature from my course and also I have the sixth edition of Lorraine Nordmann's Beauty Therapy Level 2 but what I want to know is if there is anywhere I can find specific information on contraindications that prevent treatments and why and also contraindications that means treatment needs modification and why.

I already know some about the contraindications but I want to be very thorough with this and fully understand it so I can put this into my consultation forms but after reading books, literature and searching online, I can't seem to find anywhere, that the information is set out in depth.

For example if someone was to want a facial and had over/under active thyroid or they have high/low blood pressure - would this prevent them having a facial and if so why or would it mean the treatment needs to be adapted and again if so why or is this something that wouldn't matter. I just want to know where I can find answers for this type of thing so I can make sure I am knowledgeable.

In the book I have it mentions things that would stop treatment going ahead but it doesn't explain why and I feel it important to fully know and understand these things before I start so I can provide a good service and ensure the safety of clients.

Sorry for the essay - thanks in advance for any advice.

Your course tutor will be able to answer all these questions for you. It's all part of the 'knowledge and understanding ' criteria of your course.
If you are at a college make use of the free library lending to take home other beauty text books for level 2.

Don't worry you are not expected to know all this at the start of your course. That is what you learn as you go through each unit learning the different treatments
[emoji3]

Thank you for your reply.

I'm not at a college so do not have the library option. I tried my local libraries but the do not have any books and the one book they did have was slightly out of date.

In terms of asking my tutor, shes lovely but I do not find it helpful when I ask her about things and I find even when I do ask questions, I'm still none the wiser.

That's why I thought I would post here to see if there is anywhere that I can find the information I am looking for.

I am about half way through my course and I know I am not excepted to know everything before I finish but I just want to know and understand more about contraindications as I do not feel confident in this area. I want to know which ones prevent treatments or mean treatments need amending and why.

Thanks

Hi

It's great that you are wanting to know so much information about contraindications as they are so important. I qualified about 25 years ago so I know training is different now, but if your tutor can't answer your questions about something so important, then she's not doing her job too well. I'm not aware of books which give you answers but each range or treatment you study should give you all the answers. The simple fact is that as beauty therapists, we are not medically trained and do not know what effect our treatments can have in some cases, therefore we don't do them for certain conditions, or they have to be tailored to suit someone. Sorry it doesn't need help but I do think whoever is training you should be giving you all the answers. Good luck

Thanks again for replies. We have covered contraindication topics such as bacterial infections, viral infections etc and I understand these and I have literature and pictures etc but what I am finding difficult is contraindications such as low/high blood pressure or under/over active thyroids - so as far as I am aware (from reading my nvq book) if a client has any of these, I wouldn't be able to perform a facial for example but would instead need to refer them to their GP, for a letter from GP saying they can have a facial - is this correct and if so how is blood pressure and thyroids affected by a facial, I understand if medication is being taken this can cause changes to body but other than that, not sure. Are these things I should know from my course or does it come from experience.

I am thinking once I qualify etc, I may ask clients over phone before consultation of any medical problems so I can then check with my insurer.

Perhaps use the NHS website and look up each CI and print off the information they give you. This way you will build up a file of all the signs, symptoms , causes and treatment.
As you gradually learn about each body system the information will start to make sense.

Yes I have done that already. So it seems from answer so far that maybe I am just panicking a bit too much and time and experience is what I need.

Thanks again for all your help

Hi Lottie,
When I teach this I always say that contra indications such as high or low blood pressure can be treated however they do need a GP referral letter beforehand.
If the client has low blood pressure, laying down for an hour of the facial will lower the blood pressure further, especially if hey relax. When the client gets up, it might cause them to faint as bp has dropped. Best advice for this is to gradually sit up and take it easy for a short time and perhaps raise the couch. slightly.

Clients with high blood pressure, again what happens is when they relax, their bp should drop which is fab for them and does do the cardivasacular system the world of good however when the get up, their bp may rise quickly again causing head rush etc.
Hope this is of some help to you :) Any othe requestion, please feel free to ask

Hi Lottie,
When I teach this I always say that contra indications such as high or low blood pressure can be treated however they do need a GP referral letter beforehand.
If the client has low blood pressure, laying down for an hour of the facial will lower the blood pressure further, especially if hey relax. When the client gets up, it might cause them to faint as bp has dropped. Best advice for this is to gradually sit up and take it easy for a short time and perhaps raise the couch. slightly.

Clients with high blood pressure, again what happens is when they relax, their bp should drop which is fab for them and does do the cardivasacular system the world of good however when the get up, their bp may rise quickly again causing head rush etc.
Hope this is of some help to you :) Any othe requestion, please feel free to ask

Helen,
Thank you so much for your post, really helpful and just the information I wanted. Is there anyway I am able to find this type of information, as I have found text books and literature only state what you cannot treat and if medical referral letter is needed but it doesn't explain why and I feel this is important to know so that you can tell client, why they need a referral letter.
Thank you again :)

No problem, glad I can be of some help. I haven't come across any text book which goes into each contra indication as in dept unfortunately.
I just know this because of teaching Beauty for 13 years and this is what I tell my students.

If you would like any more help, please let me know and I will try and explain more contra indications which you are stuck on x

No problem, glad I can be of some help. I haven't come across any text book which goes into each contra indication as in dept unfortunately.
I just know this because of teaching Beauty for 13 years and this is what I tell my students.

If you would like any more help, please let me know and I will try and explain more contra indications which you are stuck on x

Thank you again for your help, I really appreciate it.

The contra indications I am not certain why medical referral is needed are for thyroid problems, heart problems, kidney problems.

Also in my nvq book it states that a stye is a contra indication that restricts treatment for a facial and treatment (facial) may require adaptation but I would have thought the treatment wouldn't have been able to go ahead if someone had a stye and would have to wait until stye has gone??

Thanks

You are right. Styes are usually caused from a bacterial infection so although you could avoid the eye area (restrict) I tell my students that it prevents a facial as you could cause cross infection as the client may touch the area and spread the bacteria onto towels, door handles, couch etc so no, this would prevent in my opinon.

Thyroid and kidney problems need medical approval before hand as the person suffering from thyroid problems may suffer from symptoms such as muscle aches, tiredness, weight gain sensitive to coldness
with kidney problems they might have heart conditions, prone to kidney infections, high blood pressure and narrowing of blood vessels in the kidneys.

When we preform any massage, we stimulate the blood and lymphatic system , increase blood flow, lower bp etc so a medical note is needed incase the client has an adverse reaction with might make their symptoms feel worse.

As the thyroid is a systemic condition, products we use also may have an adverse reaction to their condition too and being mre sensitive to coldness should be taken into account.

Sorry to waffle on lol just trying to help you. Although we aren't doctors, it is great to know the reasons why do say the things we do to our clients and this shows you are going to be fab! :)

You are right. Styes are usually caused from a bacterial infection so although you could avoid the eye area (restrict) I tell my students that it prevents a facial as you could cause cross infection as the client may touch the area and spread the bacteria onto towels, door handles, couch etc so no, this would prevent in my opinon.

Thyroid and kidney problems need medical approval before hand as the person suffering from thyroid problems may suffer from symptoms such as muscle aches, tiredness, weight gain sensitive to coldness
with kidney problems they might have heart conditions, prone to kidney infections, high blood pressure and narrowing of blood vessels in the kidneys.

When we preform any massage, we stimulate the blood and lymphatic system , increase blood flow, lower bp etc so a medical note is needed incase the client has an adverse reaction with might make their symptoms feel worse.

As the thyroid is a systemic condition, products we use also may have an adverse reaction to their condition too and being mre sensitive to coldness should be taken into account.

Sorry to waffle on lol just trying to help you. Although we aren't doctors, it is great to know the reasons why do say the things we do to our clients and this shows you are going to be fab! :)
Helen,

Thanks so much for all this info, it's been so helpful and made me feel a lot better and less worried. I must say I agree with you on the stye and not going through with the treatment. Thanks again x

No worries, glad I could be of some help. Good luck with your studies x

Latest posts

Back