Help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hairgurl

Reaction score
My self employed rent-a-chair business is failing (I’m the chair renter), my rent isn’t high and I love my workplace, but I just don’t have the bums on seats (the pandemic has a lot to answer for with this). They’re gradually disappearing on me despite me doing loads of training courses continuously, I can offer things that other hairdressers don’t (up to date colour techniques etc), and I don’t charge extortionate amounts. New clients aren’t booking in or even finding out I exist. My big problem is I am just not good at social media and online stuff in general 😣 I can take a good photo/video, but in all honesty I just don’t have the time for the extra work, along with doing all my own appointment bookings and general admin. I have a 5 month old baby and it’s very much expected of me that the minute I am not inside the salon doing hair I am Mum, there’s zero space in my day for extra work to be taken home with me. Especially as social media works by posts being made at particular times and days, this just isn’t possible for me to keep on top of. I even did a social media course once, and their main advice was to constantly be active on there and do at least 15 mins every day consistently. I just can’t! Not along with doing actual hair and looking after a baby who never naps, help I’m drowning! Lol

It sounds like self-employment isn't right for you at the moment. Look for an employed job, part time perhaps, to take away the extra pressure of marketing.

My self employed rent-a-chair business is failing (I’m the chair renter), my rent isn’t high and I love my workplace, but I just don’t have the bums on seats (the pandemic has a lot to answer for with this). They’re gradually disappearing on me despite me doing loads of training courses continuously, I can offer things that other hairdressers don’t (up to date colour techniques etc), and I don’t charge extortionate amounts. New clients aren’t booking in or even finding out I exist. My big problem is I am just not good at social media and online stuff in general 😣 I can take a good photo/video, but in all honesty I just don’t have the time for the extra work, along with doing all my own appointment bookings and general admin. I have a 5 month old baby and it’s very much expected of me that the minute I am not inside the salon doing hair I am Mum, there’s zero space in my day for extra work to be taken home with me. Especially as social media works by posts being made at particular times and days, this just isn’t possible for me to keep on top of. I even did a social media course once, and their main advice was to constantly be active on there and do at least 15 mins every day consistently. I just can’t! Not along with doing actual hair and looking after a baby who never naps, help I’m drowning! Lol
It sounds like self-employment isn't right for you at the moment. Look for an employed job, part time perhaps, to take away the extra pressure of marketin
It sounds like self-employment isn't right for you at the moment. Look for an employed job, part time perhaps, to take away the extra pressure of marketing.
I have considered this and it would make my life so much easier, the problem is I would expect a salon would want me to work Saturdays and a late evening, neither of which I’d have any childcare for. Particularly not for a young baby. People sold hairdressing to me as ‘flexible for when you have kids’ and I’m quickly learning that it really isn’t at all.

It sounds like you need to either: step out of hairdressing until your child grows up a little and the economic climate changes and find a "normal" job (with regular hours) or hire a social media manager to help people find you. Having your own Instagram, Facebook, and even website with a blog can help a LOT! You can find an expert like this on Fiverr; just be sure to do some research and read reviews.

It sounds like you need to either: step out of hairdressing until your child grows up a little and the economic climate changes and find a "normal" job (with regular hours) or hire a social media manager to help people find you. Having your own Instagram, Facebook, and even website with a blog can help a LOT! You can find an expert like this on Fiverr; just be sure to do some research and read reviews.
Whilst I agree for the most part, personally I wouldn't put Fiverr and expert in the same sentence :)

Latest posts

Back