HEMA free gel polish or Gelish only on clients wearing gloves?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

New2beauty

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

As some of you might remember I posted a few weeks back about the reactions I had, Which i thought was to nail harmony monomer...well I did 2 of my own nails last night on my course and low and behold the blisters and itchy skin are back :(so that's that then!

After lots of reading I've decided to try the cjp l&p as it's HEMA free (thank you geeks on old threads for the info!!). Wondering what people's thoughts are on this product? I've ordered the sample kit but is the product on par with others such as nail harmony or any other well known brands etc? Any other recommendations for HEMA free products? Or should I just suck it up and wear gloves when doing nails and pray I don't catch myself or rip my gloves lol.

I finish my acrylic course next Monday :) yay! But I'm booked on for gelish training next month. My concern is if it is HEMA I'm reacting to then obviously I would be better using another brand but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Any recommendations? I've already got loads of gelish (50 odd bottles!) as I wanted to have a bulk of colours. So it would be a shame to waste it.

I've invested a lot of time and money already and will not be giving up easily! Any Advice greatly appreciated thank you xx

I use cnd shellac because it is hypoallergenic Even with gloves, the problems I have with other products are not worth it.

Hi ladies,

As some of you might remember I posted a few weeks back about the reactions I had, Which i thought was to nail harmony monomer...well I did 2 of my own nails last night on my course and low and behold the blisters and itchy skin are back :(so that's that then!

After lots of reading I've decided to try the cjp l&p as it's HEMA free (thank you geeks on old threads for the info!!). Wondering what people's thoughts are on this product? I've ordered the sample kit but is the product on par with others such as nail harmony or any other well known brands etc? Any other recommendations for HEMA free products? Or should I just suck it up and wear gloves when doing nails and pray I don't catch myself or rip my gloves lol.

I finish my acrylic course next Monday :) yay! But I'm booked on for gelish training next month. My concern is if it is HEMA I'm reacting to then obviously I would be better using another brand but there doesn't seem to be much out there. Any recommendations? I've already got loads of gelish (50 odd bottles!) as I wanted to have a bulk of colours. So it would be a shame to waste it.

I've invested a lot of time and money already and will not be giving up easily! Any Advice greatly appreciated thank you xx

I'm allergic to HEMA and even using a barrier cream and double gloves it's not enough to stop the allergy. Even if it does help you to start with the allergy can get worse so it's better to have a HEMA Free salon if possible.

I had one of the worst reactions to Gelish and when I checked their msds I noticed they had a reasonably high % of HEMA. I can't even use this on clients when I am gloved up without having a reaction.

I have used ibd Just Gel Polish however I believe the top coat and powerbond both contain HEMA.

What I do before buying any gel product is look at the msds. If I can't find them online I contact the company. At least then I know if a product contains HEMA.

I am fortunate enough to have a supplier here in Australia that has just developed Speed Gel Polishes.... no base and no top coat required and HEMA free.

You might also like to consider hard gel colours that come in pots, such as Light Elegance which I believe are HEMA Free. LE also have a Hema free gel polish range called P+
There is also a brand called Nail Perfect and their whole range is Hema free and they have a gel polish range too.

Also when I first started out I used NSI acrylic products. Their universal liquid and Superbond primer is hema free and compatible with the Attraction powders.

I hope this helps and good luck.
I remember how difficult I found it to get information when this happened to me.

Last edited:
I've tried a few systems and cjp is my favourite without a doubt

Hi, thank you guys,

Bel's Gels - thank you for your informative post, I think you are right HEMA free all together would be much better. My reaction to the product is beyond bad. I had a few weeks break just to check it was definitely the product but after using it on 2 fingers on my course I can most definitely say it is. I'm just so heartbroken as I have spent a small fortune on products from nail harmony which is a hard pill to swallow!

Cinderella - thank you. After reading all the rave reviews I ordered the cjp trial kit yesterday it arrived today! I have tried it on one nail which I did about 6 hours ago and no itching...yet! I'll know by morning as it usually happens overnight :eek:. I thought it was great to work with just need to work on my ratio a bit as it set a little quicker than I would've liked but that's down to me not the product. It applied really well and was great to file. Looking forward to doing a full set of it.

Xx

Hi, thank you guys,

Bel's Gels - thank you for your informative post, I think you are right HEMA free all together would be much better. My reaction to the product is beyond bad. I had a few weeks break just to check it was definitely the product but after using it on 2 fingers on my course I can most definitely say it is. I'm just so heartbroken as I have spent a small fortune on products from nail harmony which is a hard pill to swallow!

Cinderella - thank you. After reading all the rave reviews I ordered the cjp trial kit yesterday it arrived today! I have tried it on one nail which I did about 6 hours ago and no itching...yet! I'll know by morning as it usually happens overnight :eek:. I thought it was great to work with just need to work on my ratio a bit as it set a little quicker than I would've liked but that's down to me not the product. It applied really well and was great to file. Looking forward to doing a full set of it.

Xx

I remember how devastated I was when my allergy started.
Luckily for me I realised pretty quickly what it was at the start of my nail career. In fact my allergies are what made me become a qualified technician.
It is heartbreaking and even more so when you have invested money already
Maybe you can sell off those items down the track.

I wish you all the best x

Update...woke up this morning to NO itching hurray! Cjp all the way now lol.

Thanks Bel's, good for you taking those allergies and giving them what for! It's so awful to have something like that. I'm either going to wear gloves for the harmony stuff on clients and see how it goes or sell it to the other girl on my course if she's interested.

My trainer said she will do a gelish patch test on me on Monday to see the effects of that as I've booked the harmony gel polish course. I already think this will be an instant reaction but fingers crossed anyway! X

Hi Laurakate, is it acrylic nails you do? I was just wondering as if you haven't tried it the cjp l&p is amazing and the trial kits are really cheap, well worth a try imo x

Latest posts

Back