Henna help!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cherrie.jo

Reaction score
Got a client whos had henna on her hair a year or so ago in Pakistan. Now she's decided she wants foils and tint. Just want a bit of advice from anyone who's covered over henna before my salon uses loreal and I've got 2 strand test peices what's would yous recommend a porosity test or just go straight in with the colour on them. Never came across anyone with previous henna in there hair.

Got a client whos had henna on her hair a year or so ago in Pakistan. Now she's decided she wants foils and tint. Just want a bit of advice from anyone who's covered over henna before my salon uses loreal and I've got 2 strand test peices what's would yous recommend a porosity test or just go straight in with the colour on them. Never came across anyone with previous henna in there hair.
Rule of thumb is that you can't /shouldn't colour over henna, because it's a a metallic salt and when you apply peroxide it can cause an exothermic chemical reaction. Do an incompatibility test and this will show what reaction will happen when colouring the hair. I had a client a few months ago and the only thing I could do was match her roots with a semi until we cut the henna out and now we've started lightening it. I've been longing for a product that helps to remove henna but I'm unaware of any.

Rule of thumb is that you can't /shouldn't colour over henna, because it's a a metallic salt and when you apply peroxide it can cause an exothermic chemical reaction. Do an incompatibility test and this will show what reaction will happen when colouring the hair. I had a client a few months ago and the only thing I could do was match her roots with a semi until we cut the henna out and now we've started lightening it. I've been longing for a product that helps to remove henna but I'm unaware of any.
That's what I meant incompatibility test I'll get that done see what the outcome is ive never encountered henna yet not something I see alot of where I work thank you

Also, take strands from different areas of the head, rather than just one section because it might be more heavily saturated in some areas than others. If it looks ok, still keep an eye on it whilst colouring, just in case.

Best of luck!

Also, take strands from different areas of the head, rather than just one section because it might be more heavily saturated in some areas than others. If it looks ok, still keep an eye on it whilst colouring, just in case.

Best of luck!
I've only got two from the back section from either side. I'll see how they come out thank you

I've only got two from the back section from either side. I'll see how they come out thank you
If the clients applied the henna themselves the front sections are likely to be more saturated.

If the clients applied the henna themselves the front sections are likely to be more saturated.
She told me she had it done at a hairdressers in Pakistan

I've done a incompatablity test and it slightly foamed heated up them went cooler no fizzing or anything else so we were still undecided so we applied bleach and 30 vol ( what I would have done for her foils) and it expanded and that confirmed it no colouring service to go ahead thanks for the advice

I've done a incompatablity test and it slightly foamed heated up them went cooler no fizzing or anything else so we were still undecided so we applied bleach and 30 vol ( what I would have done for her foils) and it expanded and that confirmed it no colouring service to go ahead thanks for the advice
Heat alone, or foaming is showing signs of a chemical reaction, so for future reference that's enough confirmation :)

You need to remove the henna.
If you search in the search bar Stylists911 (Mags) tells you how to do it.

Latest posts

Back