Hepatitis C

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wendynailedit

Reaction score
Evening all. I have a mature client who completed her client record card at her first visit and has been to me a few times for waxing, nails and microderm. When I was doing her bikini wax last time, we were chatting and she told me she has hepatitis C! She hadn't declared this on her record card (although there isn't a specific question for this) but I was a bit alarmed especially as she bleeds during a bikini wax. Obviously I don't double dip and all cotton pads etc are disposed of. Nail instruments etc are all sterilised in Mundo. The thing is, my salon is in my home, and I made the mistake of telling my husband what had happened. He is furious and has demanded that I don't accept her for any further appointments. She is a lovely lady who was infected through a blood transfusion years ago. I feel I'll be discriminating if I refuse her an appointment and I don't think my husband or family are at any risk, but obviously I have to consider my husbands view on it!

Any advice as to how to handle this please? Legally how do I stand?

Following, I'd be interested to know people's advice x

Wendy

It's a hard one and I guess working from your own home you do have to consider the views of your husband and family..

Often clients that have hepatitis or even HIV are not aware themselves that then have the condition. As with all these issues then this is why it's really important that we follow universal hygiene procedures when we carry out waxing treatments where there is the risk of blood spotting or breaking the skin.

The other issue is that some local authorities may want you to dispose of the products used slightly differently that your normal waste as they may classify these are contaminated clinical waste....

It's difficult as it's a client that you know and I'm sure she will feel upset about your decision but if you have to do what feels best for you.

For me in any situation if i ever feel in any doubt I don't wax....

Good luck

Thanks Jack. It's tough because I feel it was a big deal for her to tell me...she said she generally doesn't because of people's reactions, and if I then refuse to treat her I think it'll reinforce her view! At the same time I can't lie to my husband and pretend she know longer comes. If I were to call my insurance company, is it likely they'll tell me not to treat her, or are insurance companies generally ok with it?

This is a toughie and sadly there is still so mich stigma around the disease.

If i was in your shoes i would still have her as a client. If your doing a treatment which you know she may bleed then glove up. Also i would say bleach mani and pedi tools after using on her then wash and in the mundo pot they go. As long as you dont share things with other clients like wax which have been double dipped you should be absolutely fine.

If your still unsure on hygiene of the salon after treatment maybe drop nhs an email and they may be able to help.

Sent from my SM-G900F using SalonGeek mobile app

Universal precautions for all, as Jack has said many people are undiagnosed. If you treat her any differently then you should look at lapses in how you treat all your other clients.
In hospital we dispose of all items contaminated with bodily fluids in clinical waste that gets incinerated. When we know we have a diagnosed patient with Hep C or whatever it merely heightens our awareness of good practice, but physically we do everything the same.

Thanks for your responses. As I explained, I am very careful about hygiene standards. I don't double dip, I sterilise everything etc. the problem is more about whether I should continue to treat her due to my partners reaction, and if I don't, whether this would be deemed to be discriminatory. It's a difficult one as I don't want to upset anyone :-( I tried to explain to him that he wasn't at risk, and he came up with the crazy argument that if she had a cut, and touched our banister and he then touched it, he might catch it. I know that this is completely ridiculous and simply won't happen, but it's a difficult argument to have with him. If I tell her I can no longer treat her, and why, could she accuse me of discrimination?

Sorry if I came across as a bit full on.

Your partner has reasonable worries if he doesn't know much about blood borne viruses. Do you think he would be open to some evidence based education to address his concerns? If so, use a trusted source for your research. BBV's can live outside the body for a certain length of time, but his example is a little much.
Your client has obviously faced discrimination, but it was unfair of her to not disclose it on her record card. She is lucky to have come to you, so it would be a shame for her to have to find someone else. Good luck.

Your client has placed you in such a difficult position, I really feel for you! I have no idea about the legalities of refusing to treat her but you appear to have to make a choice between your husband and your client. If you did decline to treat her any more you need to think how you would tell her too. You can't lay the blame at your husband because of client confidentiality, he shouldn't really know about her illness/condition.

I think first thing to do is contact your insurance company and see what they say which may help you decide which direction to move :hug:

I personally am appalled that you have told your husband... Home salon or no... You have breached the data protection act... Not to mention that the client probably assumed she was telling you In confidence...

You should already be working in a way that this poses no threat to you...

It is irrelevant if no names are mentioned. It's also discussed on here with no names. It is very hard when you work alone not to discuss things with a partner.

I had a client tell me half way through a mani that she has mrsa. All your normal protocols should protect you and your family. Whether you continue to treat has to be up to you. I would tell my husband that I was doing totally non invasive treatments if you do continue.

Vic x

Sent from my GT-I9195 using SalonGeek mobile app

It is irrelevant if no names are mentioned. It's also discussed on here with no names. It is very hard when you work alone not to discuss things with a partner.

Sorry, but you can still breach data protection laws even if you don't use someone's name.

For instance, if you have a small clientele and referred to 'the client you saw on Monday morning for a leg wax'.

You do need to tread very carefully, as your client could make a formal complaint about you failing to protect their personal data. Breach of the Act is a criminal offence.

Obviously. Or if you said she has grey hair and drives a mondeo.

I'm assuming that the op has been discreet and had mentioned concerns to her husband regarding a client and that is all.

To the op, I would consider getting professional advice as oppose to salon geek advice regarding whether there are risks treating this client to put your family's mind at rest.

Vicki x

As mentioned earlier you should be speaking to your council about clinical waste 'bio hazard/contaminated materials' removal as you could be breaking the law by not having the correct bins/yellow/orange bin bags as any contaminated materials need to be incinerated.

You are putting the general waste collection people at risk by putting it in with general waste.

You need to wearing the correct Personal Protective Equipment while doing treatments that could involve blood and bodily fluids for example gloves, disposable apron, disposable bed cover, protective eye glass and mask while doing treatments on her.

Medical grade disinfectant should used to wipe the beauty bed down afterwards.

You should be doing this anyway with every client you wax.

I am applaud though like another poster on here you have told your partner about your client having hepC, your client told you in confidence.

Your partner will come into contact every day with hepC suffers without knowing (we all do) and the risk if cross infection is very low, unless it's wound to wound contact or sharpe injury.

Speak to a health care professional who can give you more informed advice on hepC B A and aids HIV and cross infection etc. hospitals have an occupational health dept and they do offer advice (May need to pay) for non NHS/hospital staff or those coming to contact with diseases.

I'm sorry I have visions of us all wearing gloves, aprons and protective glasses to do a bit of waxing.

Hep c is mainly caught as a blood to blood infection. This means that their blood has to go into our blood. Our blood bleeds outwards so their blood has to be quite substantial to infect. Different if you are disposing of sharps but that isn't the question here.

Sensible hygienic precautions x

Thank you to those of you have given sound advice and support. To those of you who have criticised me for speaking to my husband about it, I'm a little surprised by your response. People come on to this forum all the time to ask for advice, and asking my husband is no different. I didn't mention names, dates or ages (just as I haven't on here) and I have a client base of in excess of 300 clients so there is no way he could know who I was talking about.

I personally am appalled that you have told your husband... Home salon or no... You have breached the data protection act... Not to mention that the client probably assumed she was telling you In confidence...

You should already be working in a way that this poses no threat to you...

If you read my post, you'd have seen that I'm not concerned about a threat to me. It was my husbands over reaction I was asking advice about. I take all necessary precautions and am confident in my standards of cleanliness, I was asking how to handle the situation regarding further treatments against my husbands wishes.

Perhaps educating your husband on how he is at no more risk with you having this client than in his day to day living could be useful. personally I would continue to work with the client and take no notice of my partner.

Latest posts

Back