Hi all..

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myle83

Reaction score
Hi all..
Long time since I last posted.

Im currently on maternity.. My baby is due in a weeks time :eek:
I recently decided that I wanted time out from the industry- so on news that I was pregnant.. decided to sell my salon.
I opened just before my 19th birthday.. built up & ran a sucessful buisness for the last 7yrs. Its not very often that I would say this.. but I am very proud of myself- considering right at the start I didnt have the foggiest clue about running a buisness!
However, having the time at home.. makes you reflect things.. maybe because you suddenly have the time to do so.
I was reading another member's post about how a client really turned on her..
And it made me think of this particular client, that came to me in my salon.
So, thought Id share this story with you.. and see if anyone else has been shocked by their clients..

Having been doing nails for the good part of 10yrs now- this client had been coming to me, right from the start.
We had a very good relationship, very jokey and laid back.
She understood me & vice verse.
She always came in with her partner & sons (3 of them) & they would often sit & wait for her. (Although sometimes i did feel awkward, when other clients would come in & the guys never got up to give their seat- call me old fashioned but I wouldve thought that a standard thing to do)
I religiously came in early for her 2weeks every saturday & made them all hot drinks.
Also, as she had been with me for so long- I never use to charge her the going rate. I would do it slightly cheaper.
Finding out I was pregnant, I told her in advance that once I got bigger- Id probably have to stop doing her pedicures.. as I wouldnt feel comfortable leaning down.. and I was having serious back pain at the start.
I suggested that the girl who worked for me could do it- which she was happy with.
So, when the time came- she had her pedicure done & even said how happy she was with them.
I continued doing her nails but as I got futher into my pregnancy- became so tired.. and drained that when we came to book her next few appointments, I told her Id be starting an hour later at 10am instead of 9am.. but my employee would be there at 9am, if she so wished to come then. Just so I didnt have to rush in the mornings.. and id rather do that then say I'll be there for 9am- then to sleep in & let her down.
She continued to come see me at 10am, but I could sense she was different.
It was at her next appointment, that I REALLY noticed a change..
On this particular saturday, the salon was extremely busy & I had come in at 930am to do a regular client a favour as she had a funeral to go to & just needed a polish change.
However, my 10am turned up at 945am & saw this client sat drying her nails. I sat her down & started on her nails.
She pretty much sat in silence. I finished her nails & as she sat drying- asked if she needed to book anymore appointments (She would always book a block in advance) I told her she was booked up until I was finishing work.. Anyway, she paid then left.. then about an hr later- I get a text simply saying to cancel all her remainding appointments.
It took me by suprise, but at the same time didnt.. I wondered whether it was the fact that I didnt do her pedicure anymore? Or whether it was down to the fact that she caught..

... the hump, because she saw this client in before her?.. Then I sat & realised I hadnt made her or her group a hot drink (Call it baby brain, but it didnt even enter my head that day- maybe because It was so busy).. Either way.. something really miffed her off..
It was funny though, as her mother-in-law use to also come in and have regular manicures.. with my employee and on one ocassion she turned up almost an HOUR late.. no apology- nothing.
So, my colleage mentioned that as she had another client booked in soon, she couldnt do a full manicure.. but could do a shape & tidy up with a polish.. or she could re-arrange another time.
She opted for a shape & paint.. but you could tell she wasnt happy- despite it being her fault!!
How people can be like this.. I'll never know.. but whether the mum in law mentioned it to my client.. i dont know..

I didnt contact her, as I thought she had cleary made her mind up & I wasnt going to beg..
And since then, Ive not seen her since...
Actually, thats a lie. I walked past one of the local NSS and saw her sitting there.. Wonder if they make her tea or coffee?.. Or just the standard cut cuticles, bleeding fingers :lol: etc...
Not to toot my own horn, but I know she's cut off her nose to spite her own face- as there are only NSS salons in the town.. so she wont find the service or quality like what she had with me :green:

The motto of this story is.. In all my time of doing nails, you come across so many different people.. Clients who are your best friend one minute.. but are quick to shoot you down, if something doesnt quite go their way, the next.. Being a regular client & how good I was to her, I thought she would be understanding of changes- obviously not :rolleyes:

Sorry to ramble on but I never really got to air this out.. and feel much better now.. :green:

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back