High lifting using Koleston Perfect Special Blondes colour: question about grey coverage formula

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 153638

Reaction score
Hello,

When high lifting with Special Blondes do you need to adjust the formula to account for white hairs?

For example, if a client had 30% grey hair and I wanted to use 12/22 and 12/81, would I also need to add 12/0 (or something else)?

I am wondering because of that rule for the rest of the KP line, where you add a Pure Naturals shade along with the target shade.

Many thanks in advance!

Last edited:
Hello,

When high lifting with Special Blondes do you need to adjust the formula to account for white hairs?

For example, if a client had 30% grey hair and I wanted to use 12/22 and 12/81, would I also need to add 12/0 (or something else)?

I am wondering because of that rule for the rest of the KP line, where you add a Pure Naturals shade along with the target shade.

Many thanks in advance!
12 range isn't recommended for grey coverage. What % of white hair does your client have?

I see. Thanks very much. This client I had in mind has barely any white hair throughout the hair, but she has 2-3 spots of 40-50% at the hairline.

Last edited:
I see. Thanks very much. This client I had in mind has barely any white hair throughout the hair, but she has 2-3 spots of 40-50% at the hairline.
I'd personally use whatever you was going to. And then on the white areas use a separate formula. If they were on seperate heads you wouldn't use highlift to cover white.

I see what you mean about the separate heads example. I now understand that highlift is not at all ideal for grey coverage. So if highlift does work out well for this particular client, it is only because I'd be addressing her white hairs separately anyway.
I really appreciate you helping me learn about highlift as well as your input on my formula. Thank you!

Last edited:
I see what you mean about the separate heads example. I now understand that highlift is not at all ideal for grey coverage. So if highlift does work out well for this particular client, it is only because I'd be addressing her white hairs separately anyway.
I really appreciate you helping me learn about highlift as well as your input on my formula. Thank you!
Is the client particularly bothered by the white hairs?
I used to have a client who had two white patches near the hairline, but she had them since she was 18 so she was happy to not have them covered. Her formula was 12/81 plus 12/89 + 12% and was always happy as it just added to the lightness.

Is the client particularly bothered by the white hairs?
I used to have a client who had two white patches near the hairline, but she had them since she was 18 so she was happy to not have them covered. Her formula was 12/81 plus 12/89 + 12% and was always happy as it just added to the lightness.
That is so cool :) Thanks! I am going to discuss that with her. She is in her early thirties and did say she's been getting white hairs since she was younger, so she may very well be happy to not have them covered too.
Thank you also for including the formula that you used to use for her.

That is so cool :) Thanks! I am going to discuss that with her. She is in her early thirties and did say she's been getting white hairs since she was younger, so she may very well be happy to not have them covered too.
Thank you also for including the formula that you used to use for her.
No problem. She was naturally a level 7

Latest posts

Back