Highlighting foils for soak off?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FleurNails96

Reaction score
I use kitchen foil and cut it into squares for soaking off gel polish but it's pretty time consuming to cut up all the squares!
Has anyone ever tried using highlighting foils since they're the right width and usually come with a dispenser so would make cutting them up a lot quicker.

Would it work out cheaper than buying a normal roll of tin foil? Has anyone tried it?

I dont know if its cheaper because i am still training so we used our educators foil but it does work

the salon I work in use highlighting foil its much easier and you can get 2 rolls for £8 something with VAT

Hairdressing foil is thicker, better quality, and more effective.

Buying it wholesale will also save on the pennies.

Thanks guys! Can't believe it's only just occurred to me...I'm definitely missing a trick!

Hairdressing foil is the best to use, don't get the coloured foil ( pink & blue ) though as the colour comes off with acetone

I buy big rolls of it & instead of cutting with scissors i lay it on a long flat table & tear it along the edge of a ruler. So much quicker to do than see-sawing through with scissors xxx

Just throwing it out there, but I don't use foil anymore. I use these little clips & find the process easier & quicker. I have a few sets that I use. That way I can sanitise them & still have some for other clients. I also have ones for toes which are a slightly different shape.

Absolutely love them! I bought them from eBay for a couple of $

ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1479730886.413025.jpg

Just throwing it out there, but I don't use foil anymore. I use these little clips & find the process easier & quicker. I have a few sets that I use. That way I can sanitise them & still have some for other clients. I also have ones for toes which are a slightly different shape.

View attachment 202205

I have tried those, they're good for toes but I find sometimes the acetone evaporates too quickly - especially during the summer!

Salon services do foil sheets for gel manicure removals in a box with 400 sheets. I stock up when it's a VAT free day ☺

I have tried those, they're good for toes but I find sometimes the acetone evaporates too quickly - especially during the summer!

I find the opposite. But when I first started the pre made foil wraps only had a small piece of cotton. I found it didn't hold enough acetone. Then adding my own just got too fiddly after a while.

But I now use little pieces of foam instead of cotton. I find it can hold a little more acetone than cotton, so my soak offs are quicker & I don't have any little stringy bits from cotton stuck to the nail. I can sanitise them too, so they are reusable.

I find the opposite. But when I first started the pre made foil wraps only had a small piece of cotton. I found it didn't hold enough acetone. Then adding my own just got too fiddly after a while.

But I now use little pieces of foam instead of cotton. I find it can hold a little more acetone than cotton, so my soak offs are quicker & I don't have any little stringy bits from cotton stuck to the nail. I can sanitise them too, so they are reusable.

wow! this is a brilliant idea!

Maristar - can I ask where you get the foam from? xx

Maristar - can I ask where you get the foam from? xx

I actually had "nail mates" & they came with the foam. Unfortunately the nail mates didn't last long, but I had heaps of foam that came with them. I just cut them to size for the clips.

Do you have art & craft or fabric stores near by. They might sell foam.

IBD sell foam which could be used. They are hexagon shape though & im unsure how big they are. But it might just be a matter of cutting the edges off.

The foam I have is about 5mm thick.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1479993770.147224.jpg
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1479993831.011920.jpg

I actually had "nail mates" & they came with the foam. Unfortunately the nail mates didn't last long, but I had heaps of foam that came with them. I just cut them to size for the clips.

Do you have art & craft or fabric stores near by. They might sell foam.

IBD sell foam which could be used. They are hexagon shape though & im unsure how big they are. But it might just be a matter of cutting the edges off.

The foam I have is about 5mm thick. View attachment 202250View attachment 202251
Cuccio sell the foam inserts

View attachment 202205

Oh man I hated these things. I tried nail mates too they sucked too... at least for me!

I use the foil method with some heated mitts! Works great

I usually buy the big box of foils from nail harmony but too expensive. Do the salon services ones have the pads on them already?

Latest posts

Back