Holiday cancelled, help

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

madam minx

Reaction score
I work for a small salon there are 2 therapists and 3 hairdressers. I booked a holiday day off in February for my brothers wedding as I'm bridesmaid I was told it was fine. Then I received a text from my empolyer 4 days before holiday day to say I can't have it off as the therapist who was covering can't cover al the hours. Can my empolyer do that? I don't have a contract I've been there nearly 2 years

If that was me I would say I'm having it off sorry! Lol x

Especially as its your brothers wedding! I wouldn't miss that! X

I no it's silly but before I do that I need to know where I stand

You've been there two years and you don't have a contract?! I would call your employer and explain why you need the day off, you're entitled to holiday and you have given plenty of notice so the fact they can't get cover is their problem not yours. And ask for a written contract so that yours and their rights are clearly set out in future.

I have no idea where you stand but that is just wrong!!

I am an employer and would never treat a member of staff like that.

Hope you can sort it out, but don't accepted being treated like that.

I think that's totally unreasonable to expect you to cancel the day at such short notice if you booked it in advance. Is there any kind of 'policy' around annual leave as that may assist you. Also, although there is no contract I would have thought you'd still have certain rights. I'd suggest that you contact citizens advice to get a steer.

Was there anything in writing saying it was fine? If so even if its just a text then I'd be inclined to say tough its been approved. They had plenty of notice to cover the hours so its their problem.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I've asked for contract before told no and for things to be clearly written down as I have had issues before the other therapist is a friend who when asked to cover said yes but she would only be able to do half day and that was fine at the time but now it seems my empolyer has forgot that and wants her to cover all day obviously my friend won't let me miss my brothers wedding but out of princeable she's sticking to her guns as is not the first problem she's had. I just want to be able to say its nothing to do with me who covers it you've said yes I'm taking it regardless :/

I wouldnt want to work for someone who treated me like that. I would consider leaving immediately if i could afford to and then look immediately for work in a spa or temp agency.

Im sorry to say that im not totally sure where you stand if you were to definitely have the time off under your own perogative but having been there for over a year you cant be dismissed without good reason. Phone acas to get some facts.

Nuts to your employer, id refuse to work for someone who thought it was ok to do that. Hope you get it sorted ok.

I work for a small salon there are 2 therapists and 3 hairdressers. I booked a holiday day off in February for my brothers wedding as I'm bridesmaid I was told it was fine. Then I received a text from my empolyer 4 days before holiday day to say I can't have it off as the therapist who was covering can't cover al the hours. Can my empolyer do that? I don't have a contract I've been there nearly 2 years

Sorry, I'm confused. It's probably me. Was this wedding last February? Have you already had the day off? Or did you book the day in February and it's in 4 days and you've only just had a text from your boss to say you can't have it?

If it's the latter, it's just tough isn't it. Your boss will just have to be one person down that day. You're the bridesmaid. You have no contract so she can go jump.

Yes I booked it in feb and the wedding is 6th July this Saturday she text me today to cancel it I've texted back to say that I'm not missing the wedding it was okayed already it's nothing to do with me I've not had a reply yet 😬

I think youve done the right thing tbh.

Just to confirm, regardless if you have a formal contract or not youre entitled to annual leave by eu law. It doesnt matter that its not written down, its implied by the fact youre employed and you can check this on the government and tax sites as I've had to check this recently.

If she gives you a hard time, I would politely, firmly and pleasantly say that you booked it off and it was approved 6 months in advance and that its an important event or youd consider cancelling to help out. I dont know for sure but I suspect if she sacked you for it it'd be unfair dismissal.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk 2

I would say you've done the right thing, if it was booked, and covered when you originally told her about it then now 4 days before isn't your problem and is beyond your control. You cannot miss your brothers wedding for it and she can't fire you or anything like that as like another person has said you are entitled to your holiday. You had arranged your cover and the fact that that has now fell through is your employers problem, don't sweat too much about it (I know that's easier said than done) but just enjoy your day off and your brothers wedding, and if she gives you hassle about it then its not a place you really want to be working.

It doesn't matter that you do not have a written contract, you have a verbal contract and that means statutory employment laws apply, a company can't just make up their own employment laws because they haven't given you a written contract. Check the acas website for your rights but if it was pre agreed then i dont think they can suddenly change their mind. It's their responsibility to arrange staff once it has been agreed to you, not your responsibility. Give acas a call even and they can tell you over the phone how to handle the situation especially if your boss gives u grief.

Hth xx

How long did you book off?

By law, your employer simply has to give you notice that matches the period of time you booked off. So if you have only booked one day off on a Saturday, your employer can give you written notice on a Thursday that you can't take it as a days holiday and legally your request has been declined, despite previous agreements as long as there is good reason (such as staff shortages or increased demand).

I've never done this, and it stinks if your boss is doing this to you considering the circumstances, but that's the law.

If you don't turn up on Saturday it could be considered gross misconduct and you could be sacked.

How about you remind your employer that you are actually a bridesmaid and that the bride has gone to great financial expense for your hair, makeup, dress, shoes, dinner etc. which is already paid for and that no doubt she would want recompensing for her expenses should her bridesmaid be called into work when the day was booked off some time ago with agreement from everyone involved. Make out she is a real nasty piece of work :) and then suggest that perhaps the other girl could have her holiday cancelled for that one day, or that you simply close you column and offer to work extra hard next week? After all, it's only one day?

Good luck!

This is disgusting! I would never do this to my staff!

Am I wrong in saying if you have no contract you can jump ship at the drop of a hat, however I know when you have worked for over 6 months contract or not you have rights... Phone acas they're perfect for this kind of thing!

This almost happened to me once when I had a holiday booked, I said should they cancel and not manage to get over which is not my fault, is was already agreed, Its not your fault she had cover now the girl can't come in, or they can't cover your hours, she shouldn't have continued to plan work for full staff knowing one is off!

This would be a deal breaker for me and I'd find a way out ASAP, I live by the. Rule, treat others the way you wish them to treat you, so id go sick then find another job and leave.

Surely a manager should not be texting you and telling you can't have a day off they should speak to you face to face.

I guess you are employed and not self employed as you said you don't have a contract.

If you are self employed the manager can not tell you what time you can and can't have off.

Your manager is not professional texting you. xx

It sounds like my ex employer. They treated me badly from the moment I announced my pregnancy. I left to go self employed and as we had no contracts and got paid weekly I gave a weeks notice. As someone else has sugested tot up how much your dress etc has cost and tell them the bride is going to bill them.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back