Holo powder nightmare

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laurafinni

Reaction score
Hello,
I am having some issues with the holo chrome powder. I just can't seem to get it to stick! I do a gel polish manicure, cure the non stick top coat and then attempt to apply the NSI holo powder. It only seems to stick to some parts of the nail. I do not have this issue with the mirror chrome.

Anyone know why this might be or could tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you guys in advance xxx

Holo powder is a pain in the backside because it's hit and miss in terms of getting it to work. Rightly or wrongly I use foils to get as close to the look as possible because I want to know that it will reliably work.

Holo powder is a pain in the backside because it's hit and miss in terms of getting it to work. Rightly or wrongly I use foils to get as close to the look as possible because I want to know that it will reliably work.

Its so infuriating! It just looks so good in all the pictures!
I have never used foils before and it was never something that I was taught. Are they difficult to apply and do you have any recommendations?

Which holo powder are you using? I've found there are two types, the proper pigment powder that's super fine, almost like talc which works really well over no-wipe top coat, then there is the super fine glitter version which is more like a fine grit, this one tends to work better over a sticky layer. You get the holo look but not the chrome holo from the grittier version.

Try over a sticky layer and see how you get on, but you won't be able to rub it in and get the chrome look, but you will get the rainbow flare

Its so infuriating! It just looks so good in all the pictures!
I have never used foils before and it was never something that I was taught. Are they difficult to apply and do you have any recommendations?

Cnd offer a short course in how to get more nail art out of using gels. It was also covered on initial shellac training. Also, there are some professional nail techs on youtube who demonstrate how to use foils. It's a fairly easy media to work with and produces good results. You can get holo effect foils.

Hello,
I am having some issues with the holo chrome powder. I just can't seem to get it to stick! I do a gel polish manicure, cure the non stick top coat and then attempt to apply the NSI holo powder. It only seems to stick to some parts of the nail. I do not have this issue with the mirror chrome.

Anyone know why this might be or could tell me what I am doing wrong?

Thank you guys in advance xxx

I had the same issue last night.
I was using a foam eye shadow applicator and it was just rubbing off.
I resorted to using my finger (I wear gloves) and it worked perfectly.
The only other method I could suggest is using a silicone tool.
I've found with pigments one might prefer sponge applicator whereas another silicone tool or just finger.
It just depends on the pigment t sometimes.
HTH

I was having the same issue for so long and dreaded doing holo for exactly this reason. But I've found a trick that works for me!

I apply a think but even layer of the wipe free top coat.

I cure the thumb separately, and ask my clients to point their fingers downwards, like they're about to pick something up. Sounds strange but it works....

Also I use the Geish 5-45 lamp, and instead of leaving their hand in for the 45 seconds I count to 25 in my head.

I apply two coats of top it off and they last 2-3 weeks perfectly.

Try only part curing the top coat and then apply Holo . then finish curing and apply top coat again etc
x

I use the nsi holo chrome and was having exactly the same problem, I found that curing a normal top coat for 15 seconds and using an eyeshadow applicator works x

Latest posts

Back