Home-Based Hair Salon Questions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kjs78

Reaction score
Hi there,

I have lots of questions!

I am looking into starting up a home based hair salon. I cannot seem to find many other posts on here with regards to home hair salons, its mostly nail rooms or beauty. Is this because home hair salons require alot more insurances etc? or because they are costly to set up?

I would be working out of a downstairs front room. The room is not huge, it is currently a computer room but I think big enough for one client at a time.

I have no downstairs toilet facilty, would this be a problem?

Also I am worried about putting a basin in the room with water feed as I feel if the salon does not take off I will be out of pocket, would a portable basin set up by my kitchen sink look unproffesional?

Any advice appreciated, any other home based hair salons, your imput would be great also :biggrin:

I have had a home salon, 1stly you will need planning permission for change of use. I didnt initially apply for this as I was unaware I needed it!
When the council found out I had coverted one of my rooms they sent me a letter stating the salon had to be closed until I gained permission.
They said gaining planning was just a formality!!!!
All properties near me, even in the road behind whos gardens adjoined mine were sent letters and they had to say if they opposed it or not and I had to have a planning application put up outside for 8 weeks!!!!!
All neighbours bar one gave consent!
The council REFUSED my application on the grounds the road wasnt wide enough for parking even thou I had off road parking for 2 cars and only have 1 pair of hands!!!!
I appealed against the decision and an independant body came to assess suitability, asked me lots of questions, browsed my 'salon',measured the width of the road and decided they would overturn the councils decision.
This took start to finish around 4 months...
So this is where I would start before worrying about how you're going to kit it out X
Sorry im sure this is not what you were expecting to hear :-(

Pip, thanks for your reply.
Goodness that sounds like it was a stressful time.
I honestly didn't think I would need planning permission for a room inside my home, I have realised I need to check with my mortgage company but thought this could be my only hinder. I don't have off road parking so this may halt my plans for good :(
Hope you managed to get you salon up and running again ok :)

Latest posts

Back