Home based to salon based - need advice/opinions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alpina

Reaction score
Sorry in advance, this will probably be long. I'm still trying to sort this out in my mind.

I have a home beauty/nail/tanning salon which has been running steadily for just over two years now. I'm qualified in all treatments and do everything myself. Six months ago I employed a junior to help out. Jade is qualified in most treatments offered and is learning the rest currently. Things are going well and I'm doing okay financially, though I don't have a lot of personal or business expenses. I'm happy here but there is no potential to expand. I've been looking at salons for sale, shops for rent, shops for sale, etc for about six months just to see what available but nothing has felt right yet. I've always said that I'm perfectly happy where I am until 'the one' turns up.

Last week I found the one! It's a small shop for rent just one block away from my home salon. The rent is reasonable, quite a good price for the area/size and is currently rented to a hair salon. The current salon owner is pregnant and will be closing her business in two weeks to work from home on a part time basis. If I take over the shop the fittings will be left in place and she will sell me some hairdressing equipment for a reasonable price. There is also a beauty room at the back of the shop which is set up ready to go and another area for the second beauty room to be set up in. Everything is set out perfectly and I would be able to just more in and start within days - hopefully keeping some of the hair clients that do not go with the previous hairdresser.

I'm not buying the business or paying for goodwill, but the hairdresser wont be able to take all the clients and her other hairdresser will be leaving too, so some clients MAY stay with the salon.

MAJOR PROBLEM - I'm not a hairdresser and have no experience running a hair salon. I've spoken with the hairdressing employee who work there now about staying on on a part time basis at first. She may have a full time job at another salon but nothing definate yet. If that falls through she will have a chat to me about staying with me. This would be great as she already has clients with the salon. However she is also pregnant and plans to take six weeks off in May. I can't fill in and neither can Jade during this time. I could either find another hairdresser or wait until she comes back from maternity leave to start the hairdressing side of things but would prefer to start her straight away and hopefully retain some clients.

Whatever I do, I'm planning to hire a qualified hairdresser and would need her input on a lot of the hair related details. What would you do in my situation? I don't want to hire a salon manager because I manage the beauty and nails, wages and other details on my own but on the other hand I do need a lot of input on how to run the hair salon?

I guess I'm looking for advice, or if anyone can think of something else I haven't considered yet. Also, who has successfully moved from home-based to salon - do you have any advice or regrets?

Congratulations if you managed to make it through that long one :hug:

Ok. Personally I would not waste time on the pregnant one. way too many ifs and buts. what is usually best in your situation is a "star stylist" That is an accomplished and experienced hairdresser who is not interested in the business side. Please don't be led to beleive that you can take on a cheap college leaver or junior stylist, you need someone with a lot of experience if she is to work alone.

Thanks Persianista, I was hoping you'd reply. I think you're right about the current pregnant hairdresser, the idea seems good but wouldn't really work out. It's a shame, she is a great hairdresser but now I've thought about it I would need someone to replace her while she's away anyway. I'd be better off with the one person who plans to stay on.

I wouldn't be able to employ a junior legally over here because I'm not qualified so will definitely be needing someone experienced. My job advert goes out tomorrow, I'm hoping to get a good response.

You may even want to think about having 2 stylists so that you always have cover on days off/ holiday. I do know therapists that have hair departments in their salons, and they manage them ok. The big mistake people usually make is taking on cheap, newly qualified stylists. Just because they are trained doesnt always mean they are any good! I think in that situation you have to be in a position to be able to step in and take over someones hair, not easy for a therapist.

I have a beauty room in a hairdressers and the owner actually very rarely comes to the salon. He employed an experienced, trustworthy hairdresser/manager and she handles pretty much everything. He just gives the ok when paying out.

I'm sure you'll want to be a little more hands on, this is just an example, but it can be done with the right staff.

They also have a part time hairdresser. Its a small salon.

That's actually something I've been worried about, staff being sick or needing time off. I'm only qualified to shampoo and rinse colours so Definitely couldn't take over. I didn't think about hiring two hairdressers, I don't think I'm in the position to take on two more staff members though at the moment. You're right though about needing someone, when I'm sick I just work anyway and I don't go away on holidays but can't expect the same from staff. I think once I get back on my feet with this I'll have to take on an extra casual hairdresser too.

Flawless, I though about hiring a manager, but I would want to be more involved in things. I'm hoping to get someone in between, I plan to still handle all the financial work, staff, etc, but need a hairdresser that's able to give me input on the technical side of things.

I signed my lease today so I'll be in the new salon in two weeks, I'm hoping to have a hairdresser started straight away if I find the right person. Fingers are crossed!

I know two hairdressers seems an extravagance but it is so much better to have a fallback position. As long as they make their money it is worthwhile.

It does seem like too much but I can see the point. I think get my first hairdresser settled in then start looking for a part timer too. Though I might get a great response to my ads and find them both now :)

If you try and find stylists with clients it would solve the issue in one stroke. Although good stylists will ask for top money, I find that star stylists make me far more than they cost me from day dot.
Best of luck x

That would be great if I can find someone with clients. I don't want to promise full time hours to someone and then not be able to deliver if I can't get the clients in. The hairdresser I'm interviewing on Monday would be doing part time to work around her kids, but has no client base in town. I can cover part time wages if she has no one booked in until things build up. Ideally I would also like a full time hairdresser with existing clients, as I realise this will pay off.

All my clients will be getting a letter this week letting them know about the new changes and I'll be including a voucher for a percentage off beauty treatments this month and an incentive to book in for a hair service. I just hope that I find a hairdresser this week, I can't afford to settle for just anyone

Latest posts

Back