Home salon - advice

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richo106

Reaction score
Hi,

My partner currently works part time as beauty therapist at a spa and also is a mobile hairdresser, having moved into a new home we are converting the garage so she can carry out some treatments in there and hoping to have majority of her clients there instead.

I was just wondering if any one had any advice/or know where to get it if any tax deductions would be applicable as she would be carrying out some work...e.g. % of gas/electric, phone bills etc or even the cost of some of the renovations needed to convert the garage

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

You will need planning permission first....be sure you get this BEFORE you convert or you could end up with a rather gorgeous garage! :oops:
Your best to ask your accountant of any tax breaks. :cool:

Yes, look into the planning permission & Business rates aspects with your local council first before spending any money!
Once the business is up and running you can put through your expenses - buying equipment, decoration, products etc. So keep all invoices.
With regard to your household bills you can put a percentage through your expenses. So for example if you are using say one eighth of your house space for salon use then you claim one eighth of each utility bill.
Check with an accountant though for accurate advice specific to your situation.

If she is employed doing beauty and plans on doing the same at home, she would have to speak with her employer, as there would be a conflict of interest and they may ask her to leave.

I work from my garage and did not require planning permission. Every council is different, so the best thing to do is speak with them. As CFBS said, you need to keep a spreadsheet with all outgoings + receipts in order to put through expenses.

I work from my garage and did not require planning permission. Every council is different, so the best thing to do is speak with them. As CFBS said, you need to keep a spreadsheet with all outgoings + receipts in order to put through expenses.
hi could i possibly see your conversion. Im wanting to convert my garage too xx

hi could i possibly see your conversion. Im wanting to convert my garage too xx

Hi, this is an old photo (from before I opened) but you get the idea.
My garage is double so a large space which has pros and cons. Major con at the moment is that it's difficult to heat and insulation isn't great. It still needs work but I'm able to work in the space which is the main thing x

Attachments

• Room April 2016.jpg
    Room April 2016.jpg
    257 KB · Views: 164
Hi, this is an old photo (from before I opened) but you get the idea.
My garage is double so a large space which has pros and cons. Major con at the moment is that it's difficult to heat and insulation isn't great. It still needs work but I'm able to work in the space which is the main thing x
Oh wow looks amazing. Xx

Latest posts

Back