Home salon owners?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lydia c

Reaction score
I'm so excited I am moving end of next month and thinking of doing a home salon , to those of you who have a home salon do find it is a success ? Do you do a bit of mobile as well ?
So much easier as I have been renting so haven't had the opportunity before now !
It would be home hair Salon xx

I only do nails and feet from home for 10 years now. I used to do mobile too, but I find there's so many hassels and problems associated with it. The only upside to it was that you don't get the strangers in your house, there's more advangages working from home than mobile in my view. But of course it suits those who simply don't have the space for a home salon.

If you have a home salon try and have it completely separate from the house if you can. I'm fortunate to have a large house and so clients have a separate entrance where the cloakroom is there too.

View attachment 53914I have a space under my stairs that I use. I love it & clients tell me it feels a bit more professional. I also have a mobile sink so no having to wash hair over the bath. I also do mobile but prefer doing hair from home. My living room is open plan with my stairs so really it is in my living room. I think I read recently on here that if you use a separate room solely for business then you have to pay. But if it's a room that you use domestically then you don't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

It's business rates you pay if the room is solely used for business purposes.

It's business rates you pay if the room is solely used for business purposes.

If it was a out houses you would have to pay separate business rates, if it's in the house you can only pay one or the other business rates or council tax

Sent from my LT30p using SalonGeek mobile app

View attachment 53914I have a space under my stairs that I use. I love it & clients tell me it feels a bit more professional. I also have a mobile sink so no having to wash hair over the bath. I also do mobile but prefer doing hair from home. My living room is open plan with my stairs so really it is in my living room. I think I read recently on here that if you use a separate room solely for business then you have to pay. But if it's a room that you use domestically then you don't. Correct me if I'm wrong.

This is something like I want because in the new house there is a really large entrance all the people there at the moment use it as a second living room !
I'm glad it works working from home it's something I have wanted to do for a while but obviously renting wouldn't permit it x

I have been home salon for nearly 2 years now best move iv made I use to rent a chair, the thing with the completely separate room if its not multi purpose you must get building permission to change the purpose of the room ,you will have to tell your mortgage ,your home insurance, local council, environmental health, building control, it well worth it ,my salon is in my open plan kitchen/dinning room on the dinning side so muiti propose, they come in the front door out of vue to the left of the pic :)

Attachments

• 1390849722472.jpg
    1390849722472.jpg
    48.7 KB · Views: 332
I have been home salon for nearly 2 years now best move iv made I use to rent a chair, the thing with the completely separate room if its not multi purpose you must get building permission to change the purpose of the room ,you will have to tell your mortgage ,your home insurance, local council, environmental health, building control, it well worth it ,my salon is in my open plan kitchen/dinning room on the dinning side so muiti propose, they come in the front door out of vue to the left of the pic :)

Thank you for all the information in what to do , your salon doesn't look like it's at home it looks more like a shop ! It looks great x

Thank you for all the information in what to do , your salon doesn't look like it's at home it looks more like a shop ! It looks great x

I love it, if you can imagine where im standing to take the pic is my kitchen of a similar size space to the salon. :)

If it was a out houses you would have to pay separate business rates, if it's in the house you can only pay one or the other business rates or council tax

Ah I see. I was going by a thread I read on here.

Ah I see. I was going by a thread I read on here.

This is what I was told by my local council, but you always have to check with them to see what restrictions they heve etc :)

Hi

I know this is an old thread but I am looking for ideas for a home salon.

Littlemissm it wont let me open your picture but how do wash the hair if your set up is in your living room? Do you go to bathroom or kitchen?

I am currently mobile doing hair and beauty. I completed my hair training about a year ago and I am starting to do more hair colours. I don't feel comfortable doing these mobile as I am so scared of accidently splatting colour on a customers furniture also no trolley for foils is a nightmare and the rinsing isn't good mine or my customers back so I was thinking of setting up an area in my house but I dont have a spare room so the room would need to be set up for clients and then packed away after so I was looking for ideas for washing the hair.

Have you found a solution? We used to have a salon basin in our home but had to remove due to having a baby and space. I'm really struggling to bend over the bath using the shower head on my clients? Do you have any ideas that could help?

Have you found a solution? We used to have a salon basin in our home but had to remove due to having a baby and space. I'm really struggling to bend over the bath using the shower head on my clients? Do you have any ideas that could help?

You might be better starting a new thread, this one is old and sarah123110 who posted before you hasn't been on the site sinde early May.

You might be better starting a new thread, this one is old and sarah123110 who posted before you hasn't been on the site sinde early May.
Good idea! I started a thread after I replied to you but thank you xxx

Also remember that just because you have a home salon, that doesn't mean you need to be 'cheap'. Sure you can be slightly less expensive than a normal salon as you dont have the overhead costs but dont sell yourself short, charge what your time is worth!

It drove me mad doing both mobile AND from home ...

I gave up mobile and was instantly de-stressed x

Latest posts

Back