Home salon

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lauz04

Reaction score
Does anyone know about installing a backwash in their home? Do i need to have a water meter installed if i do this? And are there any specific planning requirements to do so?

Does anyone know about installing a backwash in their home? Do i need to have a water meter installed if i do this? And are there any specific planning requirements to do so?

I don't think you need planning permission but maybe building regs ?

Contact your local council. Xx

You will need to check with local council regarding a business from home, also your house insurance. You won’t need a water meter as you pay monthly for what you use anyway xx

No water meter and no building regs required. As for contacting council/running a business from home etc... that only applies if you are employing another person. If its just you, and you have no shop front then you are working freelance in your own home/studio. Technically you can remain as a freelancer with freelance insurance that's it.

Sadly that’s not true James, your house insurance needs to be changed to insure you for slips and trips etc, your public liability insurance won’t cover your clients coming to the house for that, some insurance companies won’t insure you any more, been there done it... and all local councils have different rules regarding businesses from home xxxxx

Councils vary across the country so if you want to work from home you need to phone the planning office of your District Council, have a chat about what you want to do, and they will tell you if you need to put in for planning permission (full or maybe just a Certificate of Lawfulness).

If you do have to apply they will look at:
  • how much parking you have for clients
  • will it disturb the neighbours
  • what hours will you be working
  • are there any waste / environment issues

hope this helps!

Sadly that’s not true James, your house insurance needs to be changed to insure you for slips and trips etc, your public liability insurance won’t cover your clients coming to the house for that, some insurance companies won’t insure you any more, been there done it... and all local councils have different rules regarding businesses from home xxxxx

Its true in my case, I'm currently covered insurance wise to do people in my home or in theirs. As I am "freelancer" and do not have a shop window (ie clients cant just walk in off the street - its via appointment only) I am not technically (in the councils eyes) classed as a business (despite being registered, pay tax NI etc). Agree all local councils have different rules but there are a lot of loop hopes to get around things.

It may invalidate your current house insurance, don’t get caught out xx

Thank you but as I said I am covered, my home insurance was updated to include working from home/business use and I have public liability. Lots of boxes to tick but it’s worth it for some of us. I also took professional/legal advice before I went down this route. I would advise anyone else to do the same before fitting out a working space xx

Latest posts

Back