Homemade body polishes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sukic

Reaction score
I make my own body scrubs for myself, and would like to use them on clients, not to sell to them, but as part of a treatment package, body exfoliation and a massage for example. Mine a really simple, almond oil, sugar and essential oil. Can I do that, or would I get in trouble?

What a lovely idea. I cant help unfortunatly but i hope you can as it sounds great x

Sent from my GT-I9100P using SalonGeek

If you are a qualified aromatherapist you can for use in treatments but not for anything else and full consultation should cover the possible oil contraindications too.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

I'm not a qualified aromatherapist, I have some pre-blended almond oils I use sometimes, but not often. I always use plain oil on pregnant ladies.

I'm not a massage therapist, but I dont see why you wouldnt be able to use a home made product. You know what ingredients you're putting into it, and so provided you check with each client for contra indications to these products then there shouldnt be any issues. I think its a really nice idea actually

If you are using essential oils you really need to be trained in Aromatherapy if you're using them on clients...best place to ask is your insurance company but im pretty sure they'll say you're not covered with the essential oils.

If you are a qualified aromatherapist you can for use in treatments but not for anything else and full consultation should cover the possible oil contraindications too.

I am not an aromatherapist but sweet almond oil is not an essential oil as far as I understand - only bitter almond oil is? Sweet almond oil is a carrier oil and as such I would have thought is no more an essential oil than olive oil? What are Carrier Oils?

Sweet almond oil is not an essential oil but the op said she uses sweet almond, sugar and essential oil. Like the others have said you shouldn't be using essential oils in your products unless you are trained to blend.

If you want the benefits of essential oils in your scrubs just use a pre-blended oil, did you use pre-blends in your training?

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek

Hiya. I make my own bath and body products and all my products have a cosmetic safety assessment for me to use on members of the public. I also have public indemnity insurance to cover me should anything go wrong. My safety assessment covers me for some aromatherapy oils but, to be I still checked with my insurance company and they said I can only use pre-blended aromatherapy oils. HTH

Thanks all, much appreciated :)

Sweet almond oil is not an essential oil but the op said she uses sweet almond, sugar and essential oil. Like the others have said you shouldn't be using essential oils in your products unless you are trained to blend.

If you want the benefits of essential oils in your scrubs just use a pre-blended oil, did you use pre-blends in your training?

Sent from my HTC One X using SalonGeek
Oh yes - sorry missed that bit (MUST learn to read!)

Latest posts

Back