Horrible acrylic brushes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Salonoperator

Reaction score
What is going on. I heard other complaints regarding this as well. I been in this business for a lot of years and always could
clean my acrylic Kolinsky Germany brushes in acetone. Not anymore. they are sticky, glumpy, I can't use the monomer either.
My brushes don't even last after doing five nails and cleaning them is horrible. Why did they change this? what other brushes for acrylic nails can I use?

What is going on. I heard other complaints regarding this as well. I been in this business for a lot of years and always could
clean my acrylic Kolinsky Germany brushes in acetone. Not anymore. they are sticky, glumpy, I can't use the monomer either.
My brushes don't even last after doing five nails and cleaning them is horrible. Why did they change this? what other brushes for acrylic nails can I use?

I'm confused. Kolinsky should never been cleaned in acetone, this is not a new thing, it's natural hair, acetone will damage it. Kolinsky should only be cleaned in fresh monomer. If you've cleaned it in acetone you've damaged the follicles of the hair shaft and they will now clog with anything you put them in.

Last edited:
I'm confused. Kolinsky should never been cleaned in acetone, this is not a new thing, it's natural hair, acetone will damage it. Kolinsky should only be cleaned in fresh monomer. If you've cleaned it in acetone you've damaged the follicles of the hair shaft and they will now clog with anything you put them in.
All natural hair brushes should only be cleaned in fresh monomer, never in acetone. New brushes need to be trained ( think of it like a wand in Harry Potter) if you use it flat , then train it flat and with a point train it. Brushes are very personal. But getting back , always clean in fresh monomer and any sign of yellow is contamination

All natural hair brushes should only be cleaned in fresh monomer, never in acetone. New brushes need to be trained ( think of it like a wand in Harry Potter) if you use it flat , then train it flat and with a point train it. Brushes are very personal. But getting back , always clean in fresh monomer and any sign of yellow is contamination
If contamination gets in the ferrule of your brush it will sit there. I use a box to store mine , always point down so stored liquid (monomer) doesn’t travel up in storage.

Hi Kate, my apologies, I typed 'monomer' instead of 'acetone' in my first sentence. I've amended it now. I did say further down that it should only be cleaned in fresh monomer.

Ok, Ive been in this business 30 years. and I NEVER EVER had a problem with my brushes using acetone to clean, it would last about couple years. now. the brushes that claim to be kolinsky germany, clump up, don't clean, very sticky.
My supplier said he cannot even get the brushes I buy because they are not selling them. Something has changed.
Been in this business too long that I never needed to complain until now. It doesn't clean in monomer. doesn't work.

Ok, Ive been in this business 30 years. and I NEVER EVER had a problem with my brushes using acetone to clean, it would last about couple years. now. the brushes that claim to be kolinsky germany, clump up, don't clean, very sticky.
My supplier said he cannot even get the brushes I buy because they are not selling them. Something has changed.
Been in this business too long that I never needed to complain until now. It doesn't clean in monomer. doesn't work.

I'm 20 years in and never used acetone to clean a kolinsky brush.

I would guess the brushes you've been using were not Kolinsky. Something must be amiss if your supplier can't get them anymore???

I found out that one honest supplier said kolinsky is very expensive and people are saying kolinsky germany selling
them when they are not

I found out that one honest supplier said kolinsky is very expensive and people are saying kolinsky germany selling
them when they are not

That's more likely sadly.

Every post on here regarding cleaning kolinsky brushes will tell you they should only be cleaned in fresh monomer not acetone. I was taught that as Kolinsky is actually hair, imagine it was like your hair, you'd never was your hair in acetone.

I found and bought 3 brushes, they work they way they suppose so far. they hold up when I do a set without fighting with the brush.
but the price was like 30.00 for a size 18. Yes, I clean with both monomer and acetone. No problems. but I am having to guess
which brush to trust to buy. They are not price cheap like they use to be. I bought 3 of them to hold me over for a few years. Not sure
when I will retire. but working towards it. This business is not the same anymore.

Latest posts

Back