Hot stones

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NiceHair

Reaction score
How do you keep a hot stone massage flowing? Ie is it ok to break from massaging to go & get more stones during the sequence? X

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When I do a hot stone massage I get 2 sets of stones out at a time, massage with the first set and as they start to cool down I keep one stone in my one hand moving while I remove one hand and replace with a warmer stone. When I need to get more stones out of the heater I finish my massage off and place the 2 stones at the base of my clients back just so I still have full contact. Hope this helps!

I get my stones out prior to each area when you would usually break sequence to cover and uncover area so not much longer break and they would expect it anyway. I keep 2 stones under a towel to swap part way through the back otherwise your initial stones go cold. I would like it myself if it was interrupted, be nice to hear what others do x

Thank you! So how many stones roughly do you use per back? X

A good hot stones course will answer your questions.

For the back I can do it with just four stones (yep! lol) working in a spa with limited resources I got it down to an art....use set one and then place them in a bowl of the hottest water you can stand then use set two. Once set two has cooled down set one will have warmed up to allow you to use those before bringing the massage to a close. Ideally you can keep an even better flow with six hot stones as this provides three sets to keep you going.

Spa treatment rooms can be on the small side and this made is less faff to change stones so I was able to keep the flow.

I probably use about 10 - 12 stones in total but use them in pairs. Different shaped stones are better for working on different parts of the back and can be used as different massage techniques x

So, have just done my first proper hot stone massage. Had to use about 10 stones for 1/2 hr? Am I being paranoid about them cooling? Lol x

Hope it went well :D! I personally wouldn't get all the stones out at once because of them cooling quickly, I'd remove 4 at a time then go back for more x

Hi, yes it went fine & she enjoyed it & said she'd defo have it again. I found it to be a bit of a faff tho! Can't believe that you can do it with just 4 stones! X

I'd never be able to do it with just 4 stones lol, I'd like to know how but I use 10-12 x

How are you heating your stones? I've trained in hot stones twice. Once with Elemis and once with the Ellisons trainers. I find the best method for me is to use the hot stone heater. Starting with the back I remove 8 stones (different sizes) and place them around the clients head on the couch (obviously warn client they are there) I make sure they're scalding hot, place 4 in cold water and remove and by the time I've used those the other 4 are at a nice temperature. I do the same for the rest of the body. By placing them out ready you aren't disjointing the massage, and it's nice and flowing. Just remember to apply firm pressure when using the stones so that you don't shock the client.

I once had a hot stone massage where the therapist kept the stones loose in the hot cabbie. Every 5 mins she walked over to the cabbie to get more stones (you can imagine the lovely relaxing sound of stones clanking against metal lol) it was the worst massage ever! Xx

Top tip! Put a flannel in the bottom of your heater so the stones don't clank together when getting them out!! X

Top tip! Put a flannel in the bottom of your heater so the stones don't clank together when getting them out!! X

The perfect size towel to fit is one i got when I joined the gym :)

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Thank you MissLease! That sounds like a good plan. So, you would use about 4sets of 2 stones for a 30min back treatmemt with your method? X

Thank you MissLease! That sounds like a good plan. So, you would use about 4sets of 2 stones for a 30min back treatmemt with your method? X

That's right. I normally use 4 medium/large ones, two shiatsu (pointy ones) and two small ones for around the neck. I also place two medium stones in the clients hands (I get my clients to rest there arms behind them - down by their sides with Palms up, if that makes sense) just keeps them nice and warm. Xx

Thank you! Yes, I'm using a hot stone heater. What temperature do u heat your stones to? X

thank you! Yes, i'm using a hot stone heater. What temperature do u heat your stones to? X

sent from my iphone using tapatalk

120-140 f

A bit of a random question but I'm only asking because I have bad circulation and have always been paranoid I'm misjudging the temp of my stones ( I don't check with my clients but feel the stones cool quickly). I have an average joe heater from Ellisons, how long do you heat your stones for before use and do you begin with hot or cool water? I acquired this (my only ever) heater from another therapist so don't know for certain my method is right

A bit of a random question but I'm only asking because I have bad circulation and have always been paranoid I'm misjudging the temp of my stones ( I don't check with my clients but feel the stones cool quickly). I have an average joe heater from Ellisons, how long do you heat your stones for before use and do you begin with hot or cool water? I acquired this (my only ever) heater from another therapist so don't know for certain my method is right

Use hot water from the tap as it's quicker then heat to between 120 - 140 degrees F.

Thank you

Sent from my SM-T310 using SalonGeek mobile app

Latest posts

Back