How beauty procedures looked in the 1930's-40's

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamlea87

Reaction score
Found this on reddit, and through it was an interesting (or terrifing) insight into past treatments!

p5Ahb4G.jpg

‘Freezing’ freckles off with carbon dioxide was a popular treatment in the thirties. Patients’ eyes were covered with airtight plugs, their nostrils were filled in for protection, and they had to breathe through a tube.

lj0UXVf.jpg

A chorus of large blow-driers attends to a customer in the 1920s

vHBG9qs.jpg

A permanent hair procedure (presumably hair waving) being performed in Germany in 1929.

b5bdyFY.jpg

This device from 1930, invented by Max Factor, helps correct the application of make-up.

YJ7Gtx6.jpg

This terrifying mask from the 1940s could be plugged in to heat the face and head in an attempt to stimulate circulation and make the skin look fresh.

Fy9Gm0c.jpg

‘Slenderising salons’ in the forties devised all sorts of weight-loss treatments, one of which was massage chairs like these, which massaged clients’ legs with metal rollers.

zLSWmCX.jpg

A 1940s beauty treatment at Helena Rubinstein’s salon

8LTz4Ll.jpg

Before the invention of sun-screen in the mid 1940s, bathers wore garments like this Freckleproof Cape to protect themselves from the sun. The cape also features built-in sunglasses.

GsGo01D.jpg

Pre-war women would spend hours with their hair bundled up into creepy heating machines like these to achieve a fashionable curled look.

a76MlHY.jpg

A fruit mask from the 1930s.

j3fhtHr.jpg

This ‘Glamour Bonnet’ from the forties promised to give users a rosy complexion by lowering atmospheric pressure around their head to simulate alpine conditions.

i75RH5H.jpg

This Thirties suction machine consisted of tiny glass nozzles, a rubber hose and a vacuum pump. It promised smooth, spot-free skin.

9SSUZfM.jpg

These two 1920s women are getting rid of wrinkles and imperfections by wearing rubber “beauty masks”.

4llxlLN.jpg

The ‘Hangover Heaven’ face pack, also invented by Max Factor, featured plastic cubes that could be filled with water and frozen. The mask was popular with party-going Hollywood stars in the forties.

Original Link: http://imgur.com/a/Q78np

How funny you started this thread. I just got this pic in an e-mail yesterday and thought it was quite interesting. Spray tanning in 1949. :)

Attachments

• Early spray tan.jpg
    Early spray tan.jpg
    33.7 KB · Views: 634
I love these pictures. That mask is pretty terrifying though!

The machine for heating hair is still around today, a new version was at one of the hair shows a year or two ago, same principle with loads of wires hanging off the machine...the name of it fails me.

That all looks very scary! Mind you, I guess hair straighteners and curling tongs might in a hundred years

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

That all looks very scary! Mind you, I guess hair straighteners and curling tongs might in a hundred years

Sent from my Nexus 7 using SalonGeek mobile app

I was thinking about what this post might look like in 100 years time... "a woman has hundreds of pieces of aluminum foil folded into her hair, in a process that was known as 'highlighting'."

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

The machine for heating hair is still around today, a new version was at one of the hair shows a year or two ago, same principle with loads of wires hanging off the machine...the name of it fails me.

Is it the digital perm machine?

Attachments

• perm.jpg
    perm.jpg
    23.3 KB · Views: 757
Great thread I love history even more seeing the way they done treatments xx

Is it the digital perm machine?

.. That's it but I thought the name was a little more advanced than that. ..I may be thinking of the manufacturer. I do know however that one of these machines was in my salon as my two older staff used to use it! Ha ha

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

I think it is still popular in Korea and Japan.

Wow these are amazing!

Great photos and info!

I really want to train in it. The machine looks horrendous but the results are lovely. :)

The first picture scares me the most! I just saw this on Facebook too. It's weird but you can see how they all work and that slimming machine looks like it might rip some hairs out too...mechanical waxing anyone? :what: x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Wow. And to think everyone thought spray tanning was relatively new to the industry!! Obviously not. Very interesting thread.

I really want to train in it. The machine looks horrendous but the results are lovely. :)

I really want one. I would grow my hair if I could have these results

Wow, what a shock! It looks like machines were popular for treatments back then lol.

Woah, they are so creepy! I wonder what the future holds!

Latest posts

Back