How busy freelancers

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlc

Reaction score
Hi I'm new to the hair industry as just started my training now! I've been doing up dos as part of my bridal or special occasion makeovers for a long time. But now decided to train in cutting and then colouring after Xmas.

I am a mum so have been working from home freelancing! I just wanted to know how busy going mobile is in the hair industry? And your preferences and why?
Building on clientele etc. I do have some through beauty I do but wanted to know best ways of getting established in this field too!

I am considering perhaps a couple of days in a salon when my DS starts sch in sept next year! However I'm not sure how likely this is with what I will have?! eg level 2 city & guilds cutting and the same for colouring hair!

Just I know there are 9 units to a full level 2 but as I will only have 2 (cutting and colouring) how likely I will be in working in a salon!

This is why I ask -how busy I can be working from home freelancing?

Any advice is appreciated thanks.

Last edited:
Hi, I've been freelance for about 9 years(since having kids)I worked in salons for 14 years before I went mobile but I have to say it's the best thing I've ever done! I think obviously apart from being great at what you do a lot depends on the area you live in. I'm based in Liverpool and I'm very busy all the time and lucky enough to have a good loyal client base. I started by setting up a free website and just used online advertising which was all free! I got quite a lot of bookings within the first few weeks, so I was luck really. Hope this helps but if you have any questions just ask you can pm me if you prefer!xxx

Thanks jenny

I have already started telling my clients via my beauty page, so thats good i suppose.i offered free haircuts whilst learning! So they are offering themselves so i can get as much practice as poss whilst i am training on my course. They are really good/brave clients. But of course i am going to take them up on it! as they will hopefully lead to regular clients, that pay!

It is just so different business wise from beauty! as people do not need beauty quite as much as a haircut, so even though i work freelance like this at the mo-it is not a true feel for what it will be like doing hair.

thanks for the reply :)

Well you're starting it off in the right way by practicing on your willing beauty clients so that's a good start. My main advice would be to get as much salon experience as possible so you are 100% confident with your chemical services(tinting, perming etc). Best of luck! 😊xxx

Last edited:
With limited qualifications you will be able to work in a salon, but as an assistant/junior. So you will be washing hair, blow drying, maybe putting hair up.

Not many salons will let you cut hair with no experience, and if they do, then it probably isn't the best salon to get any experience from!!

Good Luck and welocome to the Hair World!!!

xx

With limited qualifications you will be able to work in a salon, but as an assistant/junior. So you will be washing hair, blow drying, maybe putting hair up.

Not many salons will let you cut hair with no experience, and if they do, then it probably isn't the best salon to get any experience from!!

Good Luck and welocome to the Hair World!!!

xx

oh kind of annoying lol thanks for the reply btw :)

hi i understand what your'e saying in regards to qualifications and salon experience, and this was my query about likelihood of getting work as a junior stylist with ongoing training. But i will have a level 2 qualification in december but just in cutting! then after xmas i will be doing a level 2 in colour, then after that course i was hoping that a salon would at least take me on! (whilst i continue to do more units in level 2 hairdressing) but not just as an assistant! of course as i will still be furthering my training in this time i would have to tidy and assist and help in washing hair/sweeping etc etc as it makes the world go round! (and so i should be doing those things, i'd expect this as a hairdresser) but i am a mature lady with children, which is why i cannot do the full nvq2 course in one go -due to family commitments at the present! but still after doing a level 2, i do expect to be able to do some hair cutting/colouring too! Of course as a junior! and with some supervision too.

Otherwise if this is not possible then what is the point of anyone actually going to college to do a course? if this is the case we may as well have just done an over the internet course!

So tho i get why salons do this, does not mean i agree mind! And so for a salon that would not offer this is probably not particularly the salon/environment that someone of my age would like to start out in tbh! But we all have to start somewhere right? i agree

kind of a bummer but I think that tbh if this is the case it seems more and more i will be looking at freelance over salon, i will perhaps offer my services free to a salon on an occasional basis that is just happy for an extra pair of hands, that way i can gain some salon experience, and in return get a gd reference. i just hope i can get enough work freelancing.

thank you for your message :) xx

all advice and input is much appreciated and all taken on board. yes the hair world indeed!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back