How can I get my hair the right shade of red?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redren

Reaction score
Hi, I'm looking for a bit of advice. I'm a natural blonde but have dyed my hair various shades of red for numerous years. For some reason I decided to bleach my hair blonde last year. Long story short, I didn't like it and decided to go to the salon to go back red. However now my hair just seems to soak up the colour and does not turn out the deep red I desire, except for at the roots where the peroxide has grown out. My hairdresser tried a deep condtioning treatment before applying a semi permanent colour over the top but this still didn't work. I'm due back at the hairdressers next week and was wondering if there is anything I could use to help with the colour?

I would be deeply grateful for any advice you could give and needless to say I've learned a very valuable lesson about leaving peroxide to the experts!!!:rolleyes:

Many thanks in advance

Your hair is bleached, there is no natural pigment in your hair for the red to hold on to. Add 1 part of a neutral or gold based brown of the same level to your red formula. If the shade of red you're wanting to achieve is lighter than a 7 then a neutral or gold based blond (not lighter than a 8 though) may be added i.e. 11/2 ounces of red, half an ounce of brown or blond. Just make sure that the brown or blond shade you're mixing in is the exact same level as the red.

I highly recommend that you visit your stylist if at all possible, if you mess up this formulation you're going to get a muddy result which will have to be stripped out, exposing your already fragile hair to yet another harsh chemical process. After this you will have no option but to live with the blond until your roots completely grow out. Your hair will be too fried to endure another process and will break off if you attempt to do so.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back