How did you get to where you are today?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chantele

Reaction score
New to the site.. I'm 18, I finished my Level 3 Beauty Therapy course this year alongside loads of short courses, however I am struggling to get work as I don't have work experience in the industry. It's holding me back & it's starting to knock my confidence. Any suggestions on how to get a step in the door would be appreciated.

I'm just wondering what age you started you're career, and how did you get to where you are today?

I'm beginning to give up and I need some inspiration to get myself back together!

I worked for free at a salon when I was in the last year of my course. It lead to my first job.
Not sure if it's legal now though, due to min wage laws.
Around 90% of the people training in hair and beauty won't be able to find jobs at the end of their courses, so lots set up on their own and work mobile.
Spas are good places to get experience, as they're usually happy to take on college leavers, but it's hard work, and getting more competitive.

With hard work and determination, started 10 years ago (Late in life), laughed out loud when my educator said I would get customers, business took off very slowly, opportunities came my way through knowing the right people, now I wish customers would piss off and leave me alone (not really). Just don't give up.

After completing my level 3 beauty therapy qualification I worked at a salon for about 18months. I then travelled the world on a cruise ship for 8 months and came home to a new spa opening and got a job right away. My friend and I then decided to open our own business at only 21 years old, with no money or savings. We took a massive risk by taking out loans and a lease and learnt everything along the way. 2 years ago my business partner and I parted ways and I bought her out of our business. I am now 26 and have had my salon for 5 years, which I have recently re-branded. I employ 5 staff members, am about to open a second salon and December has already been the best month we have ever had!
If you are passionate, willing to work hard and are daring enough to take risks (within reason!) whilst believing in yourself, then you will get to where you want to go :)

I started at 15, I'm 20 in April. You're never too young. I suggest volunteering in a salon to show that your determined and want it bad! Good luck xx

I also started in a salon voluntary cleaning and answering phones while doing my first year at college. By the 2nd year I was employed at the same salon. After a few years I moved and rented a room, followed by mobile and summer house base, then last December I opened a salon. The beauty industry is much more competitive now than when I started 9 years ago, don't give up. I find it hard to find good therapists straight from college. Your best bet is to get into a salon while you are still at college so you can reach salon standard xx

I started doing volunteer work/basic training at 14 in a salon, started my level one when I was 16, qualified level two this year and am now studying my level three. I have a salon job which I got in July just after qualifying, Definately offer to volunteer one day a week or try and find a Saturday job, don't give up! Xxx

Thank you for all your replies. Loved hearing you stories, has definitely given me a kick up the.. I think I will try work for free in a salon to get my experience, but can I do that even if I've finished my training?

Thank you for all your replies. Loved hearing you stories, has definitely given me a kick up the.. I think I will try work for free in a salon to get my experience, but can I do that even if I've finished my training?

I don't think it's allowed. My understanding is that by law you must be paid minimum wage, holiday and sick/maternity pay from the get go.
I don't think anything other than school age work experience is allowed now. It's either a job, or not allowed.

I don't think it's allowed. My understanding is that by law you must be paid minimum wage, holiday and sick/maternity pay from the get go.
I don't think anything other than school age work experience is allowed now. It's either a job, or not allowed.

I'll have to look further into it or see of there is another way around it.

After completing my level 3 beauty therapy qualification I worked at a salon for about 18months. I then travelled the world on a cruise ship for 8 months and came home to a new spa opening and got a job right away. My friend and I then decided to open our own business at only 21 years old, with no money or savings. We took a massive risk by taking out loans and a lease and learnt everything along the way. 2 years ago my business partner and I parted ways and I bought her out of our business. I am now 26 and have had my salon for 5 years, which I have recently re-branded. I employ 5 staff members, am about to open a second salon and December has already been the best month we have ever had!
If you are passionate, willing to work hard and are daring enough to take risks (within reason!) whilst believing in yourself, then you will get to where you want to go :)

that's such an achievement well done. hope I'm in that position in 5 years lol.

I did beauty straight from school at 16 then went into hair but left my apprenticeship before I qualified which I always regretted.. worked in a few salons n did a few other random jobs (always doing beauty on the side) and four weeks ago opened up my very own ☺️ although very daunting I love it so much x

Latest posts

Back