How long does an opened tint last for?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jinnyjinbob

Reaction score
Just found an old, opened Koleston tint tube in the salon. It looks very old as the packaging isn't even the same as the current Wella branding! Do any of you colour geeks know whether it will have lost its potency or will it be ok to use? X

I believe UNopened colour (majirel) lasts about three years so I probably wouldn't risk using it on a client.

When I have squezed out old, opened tint before, even when it hadn't discoloured the texture of the product was kind of mushy.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using SalonGeek mobile app

Just bumping this again after a conversation my boss had with me....
I have a new colour client in tomorrow, she's had consultation and we've decided on the route to achieve her desired colour. Iv ensured we have the necessary tints from the wholesalers. However this morning, he has asked me to use up some old wella stock as we have the shades in this as well.
Wella is my preferred colour house anyway as it's what I trained in so this should've been fine. However, iv discovered the shade I need to use has already been opened and put back in its box. We rarely use the wella stock we have in so God knows when this was opened?! My boss couldn't give me an answer and he's insisting it will be fine to use. I obviously want to the result to come out right so I'm concerned what effect this old tint might have! Should I be kicking up a fuss and insisting I use the new one? I don't want to rock he boat with him but it's my responsibility and reputation if it doesn't come out right.

I know its business and money, and the stock isn't making us money sat on the shelves, but providing a crap service isn't going to make money either.

Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Sorry for rambling on! :) x

I have a new colour client in tomorrow, she's had consultation and we've decided on the route to achieve her desired colour. Iv ensured we have the necessary tints from the wholesalers. However this morning, he has asked me to use up some old wella stock as we have the shades in this as well.
Wella is my preferred colour house anyway as it's what I trained in so this should've been fine. However, iv discovered the shade I need to use has already been opened and put back in its box. We rarely use the wella stock we have in so God knows when this was opened?! My boss couldn't give me an answer and he's insisting it will be fine to use. I obviously want to the result to come out right so I'm concerned what effect this old tint might have! Should I be kicking up a fuss and insisting I use the new one? I don't want to rock he boat with him but it's my responsibility and reputation if it doesn't come out right.

I know its business and money, and the stock isn't making us money sat on the shelves, but providing a crap service isn't going to make money either.

Provided it doesn't look oxidised and smells normal then it is fine

It'll be fine.

I don't even colour hair so I have no idea about any of this stuff.
But from what you've write I think you already know what you want to do!
As a client I'd be disgusted if my hair went wrong and it was because of an old out of date product.
Like you said you just don't know but better to be safe and sorry.
Someone might come along and say yeah it'll be absolutely fine, but it'll be on you not them.

Laura xx

Haha the it'll be fine people beat me to it ;)

Laura xx

Haha the it'll be fine people beat me to it ;)

Laura xx

With all due respect you don't know anything about colour or that it unless the tube has a hole in it then oxygen can't get to it if the lid is on properly. In order to "go off" colour needs to oxidise. Oxidised colour smells distinctive and darkens or is streaked with dark when you squeeze it from the tube. I have tubes of 2.0 or 2.10 on the shelf in majirel and we haven't carried the colour line for 2 years. These have probably been open 10 months and u would happily use them tomorrow.
If you don't know the answer to the posters question then you really do not need to scaremonger

I don't even colour hair so I have no idea about any of this stuff.
But from what you've write I think you already know what you want to do!
As a client I'd be disgusted if my hair went wrong and it was because of an old out of date product.
Like you said you just don't know but better to be safe and sorry.
Someone might come along and say yeah it'll be absolutely fine, but it'll be on you not them.

Laura xx

As you said yourself, you're not a hair geek, and don't know about this question.
Tint is an inorganic product. It doesn't go 'off'. It may partially oxidise, but that will generally be the first millimetre of product, which can be discarded. :rolleyes:

As you said yourself, you're not a hair geek, and don't know about this question.
Tint is an inorganic product. It doesn't go 'off'. It may partially oxidise, but that will generally be the first millimetre of product, which can be discarded. :rolleyes:

Thank you. Knew you colour geeks would put my mind at ease one way or the other! :)
Ive disposed of the top bit of tint which was discoloured, but the rest looks absolutely fine. Thanks for the assurance, just didn't want it to go wrong. x

It's technically 12weeks once opened but it's not widely advertised

It's technically 12weeks once opened but it's not widely advertised

That's to comply with EU labelling regulations but doesn't actually have any bearing on reality. ;-)

Ah yes I understand, they just liked the look of that number ;-)

Latest posts

Back