How much do you earn as a beautician?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaigeRosexxx

Reaction score
I’m just curious to know, if you don’t mind sharing. I know it depends on the salon etc.
I am currently doing my level 2 beauty therapy course with a 21 month old so I’m on minimum apprentice wage and I claim Universal Credit for this reason. I want to progress on to level 3 and I am doing a private acrylic course.
I assume my wage will go up?

Is there no way you could go self employed, renting a table/room? Myself (beautician) and my friend (hairdresser) have found that you earn way more self-employed, as long as you've got the client base. When my friend was employed, she would get minimum apprentice wage and then anything she made over that amount, she would only get to keep half.
Without giving exact figures, I make more per hour from my beauty business, than I do in my full time roll as an accountant.
I can't speak for everyone, but it's absolutely financially beneficial for me to just pay my set fee, knowing that everything else I make, I get to keep.

Is there no way you could go self employed, renting a table/room? Myself (beautician) and my friend (hairdresser) have found that you earn way more self-employed, as long as you've got the client base. When my friend was employed, she would get minimum apprentice wage and then anything she made over that amount, she would only get to keep half.
Without giving exact figures, I make more per hour from my beauty business, than I do in my full time roll as an accountant.
I can't speak for everyone, but it's absolutely financially beneficial for me to just pay my set fee, knowing that everything else I make, I get to keep.
Hi, yeah when I am qualified I think my boss will want me to become self employed here. The other girls are self employed too. I’ve heard that, that it’s more money. Hopefully I will build up a strong client base whilst being here :)

I am currently doing my level 2 whilst working a full time job in an office where I am earning around 25k (based in London) so I am worried about not being able to earn as much or less! As mentioned, the best bet is to go self employed and that’s where you make your money. I am renting out a room on the side which is £50 for a day rate as I cannot do it at home.
If I were you I would build the experience and confidence up in the Salon and then move to self-employed.. maybe after your level 3 qualification :)

I know s/e is tempting, as people tell you you will make more money.....but remember you have to pay tax and possibly vat on what you earn. You may need to pay rent and buy stock, equipment, pay for training, accountant, etc. You will have no holiday pay, no min wage on a bad week, etc, which makes it hard to budget if you have kids. It works for some and not for others. Maybe speak to the girls you work with and get a feel of their experiences. Training is hard work, especially with a wee one, but remember it's only for a little while. Good luck! X

I worked out that once I have paid my tax and national insurance, accounted for expenses and purchases and divided what’s left against the hours I’m working, I’m approximately earning the same as I do in my other caring job. I am mobile, and the travelling around the community has to be factored in as obviously you can’t do as many clients. I know I of someone who works from home doing lashes and makes an absolute fortune. Having said that, I’m not sat behind a desk all day, I’m never bored, I dictate my own hours (in both my jobs), I’m continually moving about, I’m earning enough to contribute to the home and I’m happy. Counts for a lot.

Latest posts

Back