How much to charge rent?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmoseley07

Reaction score
Hey, my stylist informed me today that she is handing her notice in so I'm in the process of finding a new self employed stylist. Baring in mind I am based in Blackpool which is not an expensive area, I need help deciding how to go about getting my next stylist.
Should I charge rent to use the two chairs I have free and ask them to purchase their own products to use or should i work on a percentage basis of 50/50 using my products? I really don't know how to go about it.
My last stylist was self employed on a percentage basis and just turned up and left whenever she pleased so when she wasn't in the salon then I wasn't earning a penny which I don't think she seemed to realise so I don't want this again.

Please help!

I would do it on a rent a chair basis. That way each week/month you know how much money you will be getting regardless of whether she comes in or not.
Also whatever the stylist earns over her rental amount is all hers. The harder she works the more money she gets so it's a win win for both parties I would say.
As for products I would want them to supply her own as it would be hard to keep track of how much she is using and how much you are using. I'm not in the situation you are and I'm beauty but that's what I would do. Hope this helps and good luck!

Of course she realised! She doesn't/didn't give a hoot weather your pockets were full or not!

NHF say there are 3 options.

% where you don't get any dollar if the stylist is quiet.

Rental where they pay regardless.

And a mix of the two. However check with HMRC. I've heard this isn't actually allowed.

Thanks for your help, I didn't realise some things were not allowed! I'll have a look online

I'm in a northern town and my old salon charged £100 a week for you chair she provided towels, shampoo and conditoner and styling products, the girl who rented a chair had to provide all colours perms hairdryer straightners etc x

I'm about to start renting a room, on a 50/50 basis. She's a hair dresser with an established salon and I'm a beauty therapist. I thought this would be good whilst I built up my client base, it sounds like you guys are in favour for rental for the landlords point of view, but do you feel that I am better off as a renter to pay a set amount or a %?

I'm in a northern town and my old salon charged £100 a week for you chair she provided towels, shampoo and conditoner and styling products, the girl who rented a chair had to provide all colours perms hairdryer straightners etc x

Sounds good! I was thinking between £80-£100 for two chairs so they can have two colours in together if they wanted. Then they just provide their colour, perms maybe styling products too x

I'm about to start renting a room, on a 50/50 basis. She's a hair dresser with an established salon and I'm a beauty therapist. I thought this would be good whilst I built up my client base, it sounds like you guys are in favour for rental for the landlords point of view, but do you feel that I am better off as a renter to pay a set amount or a %?

I think while your starting off a percentage is better for you! If you pay rent weekly then what happens if you get no one in? You still have to pay the rent so I think stick with what your doing.

Whereas with me after a hair stylist then I can get them clients easily so they will pay their rent within the first day or two, the rest of the money they earn is their own x

Depends whether you're established or not.

If you aren't established I'd be inclined to go for % because if you earn nothing you pay nothing. But if you pay a rent and you earn nothing. You still have to find that money.

With % though, if you earn £1000 in a week, you might only take £400/£500 home. But if you pay £100 a week, you'll still take home £900 after paying the rent.

Thanks for your help, I didn't realise some things were not allowed! I'll have a look online

I think if you're not aware that there's things you can't do, you definitely need to look into it further.

I've been looking at getting someone for around 12 months. But trying to work out how to abide by HMRC, have a decent working environment for me without ripping off the stylist.

It's not simple.

Who will be buying the products? It sounds a lot for you to pay out if you have to buy products too. Unless the prices for treatments are exceptionally high, in which case will you get enough clientele? If the products are being supplied it sounds like a good deal :)

Thanks for that, this is obviously new to me. I don't have an established clientele yet, so I'll carry on with this, and then when I'm more established, discuss a weekly rent, if they're up for it by that point!

I was in the same situation and spoke to HMRC they said i have to take x amount a week from stylist. They do there own tax returns, get their own insurance etc. They also have to supply their own colour, product etc as they are self employed. There is a fine line between self employed and employed if you are letting them use your products

I was in the same situation and spoke to HMRC they said i have to take x amount a week from stylist. They do there own tax returns, get their own insurance etc. They also have to supply their own colour, product etc as they are self employed. There is a fine line between self employed and employed if you are letting them use your products
This is so useful! I was thinking of charging x amount a week, them to obv sort out insurance and all that malarkey and stock. So basically I'm just supply the space, water, electric and towels x

Yeah all you supply is chair, water towels etc. Works out easier for you if they was to ever have any problems with HMRC X
This is so useful! I was thinking of charging x amount a week, them to obv sort out insurance and all that malarkey and stock. So basically I'm just supply the space, water, electric and towels x

Yeah all you supply is chair, water towels etc. Works out easier for you if they was to ever have any problems with HMRC X
Thank you so much for your help!x

Hi guys I am wondering what is the usual "stake" for a chair rent or % in London
Thanks

Latest posts

Back