How to be different from other businesses

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EmmaLF

Reaction score
Hi all so I've just started my own mobile nail, beauty &tanning business. I'm trying to think of ways to stand out from others in my area. Some way to offer my clients something different.
I was thinking of a hand massage during nail treatments, i also was thinking of including a little goodie bag with their first appointment with a nail file (just a cute cheapie patterned one), a little mini bottle of cuticle oil, a little chocolate and a business card/refer a friend card plus price list. I'm not sure what else I could add too it. These wouldn't cost me much, if it did I could always add €5 onto my price and say 'first appointment ___ includes nail care goodie bag' then take €5 off for every other treatment but I'd rather just give them free I think. Encourages them to use the cuticle oil then when it runs out they'll be more inclined to buy one off me because they've become used to using it.

Is there anything else any of you do to stand out to clients? Anything I can add to treatments etc

You can do all that if you want to (I wouldn't!) but giving things away doesn't make you stand out - it makes you poor!

The way to stand out from everyone else is to be brilliant at what you do and to have excellent customer care ... that's it.

jacquelineanna- fab advice!!

You can do all that if you want to (I wouldn't!) but giving things away doesn't make you stand out - it makes you poor!

The way to stand out from everyone else is to be brilliant at what you do and to have excellent customer care ... that's it.

LOVE LOVE LOVE!!! great advice!!

I'm not wanting to 'give things away', I'm good at what I do but there are also others in my area who are great. I don't want to be like everyone else so wanted to treat my clients. Maybe I should reserve them for 3rd treatments rather than first time to reward loyalty.

I see loads of great advice in other threads about promoting and a lot of people suggested adding something luxurious to a treatment such as a hand massage so that's why I'm asking if anyone had any other advice.

You're good at what you do, provide a great service with an awesome smile and clients will come back. You really sell yourself, the add ons are exactly that, add ons. If clients like you they will come back :)

The thing I do differently in my spa is I offer a wide variety of drinks. I offer a few types of tea and regular coffee. I also offer espresso, lattes and cappuccinos. I just started flavor shots and have vanilla, caramel and hazelnut. It sounds like its expensive but it costs nothing under £1 each drink with a shot. Clients love it because there are no good coffee shops in this village. Some days I have clients because they want to grab a coffee together so will book a pedicure or manicure just to catch up.

I'm not wanting to 'give things away', I'm good at what I do but there are also others in my area who are great. I don't want to be like everyone else so wanted to treat my clients. Maybe I should reserve them for 3rd treatments rather than first time to reward loyalty.

I see loads of great advice in other threads about promoting and a lot of people suggested adding something luxurious to a treatment such as a hand massage so that's why I'm asking if anyone had any other advice.

Hey Emma, you don't have to defend your decisions :hug:

We don't give our clients anything ... We give them total respect but we don't fawn over them, we give them a great treatment, we make them laugh, we dry their sad tears sometimes, we give them honesty, we involve them in debates and conversations ... we make them feel as if they are a part of our little salon family.

People buy people ... you have to make them love YOU and what you can do for them and how you make them feel.

And they will keep coming back :)

I think your goodie bag is a great idea Emma!
Your want to catch their attention in the FIRST place, then keep them because of your happy, professional nature.
Go for it! !

Sent from my SM-N915G using SalonGeek mobile app

I think your goodie bag is a great idea Emma!
Your want to catch their attention in the FIRST place, then keep them because of your happy, professional nature.
Go for it! !

Thank you for the positive comment! That's exactly what I wanted to do I'm just crap at wording things. There are so many people in my area who are great at doing nails etc that it's hard to get people to try someone different. I want to tempt them without reducing prices to ridiculous levels.

Thank you for the positive comment! That's exactly what I wanted to do I'm just crap at wording things. There are so many people in my area who are great at doing nails etc that it's hard to get people to try someone different. I want to tempt them without reducing prices to ridiculous levels.

Exactly
I was always told not to drop your prices because even tho clients know they will go back up, they'll resent it. Always offer a little extra instead as a welcome gift, and make sure they want to come back because they want the service that YOU provide!
I ran a promo where every client, new and existing got a free mini bottle of solar oil when their gel nails. Worked out to be a10% discount. They loved it!
Just a little gift, and i gained new clients, with my existing ones feeling special too

Massage is always everyone's favorite treat!
If you would like to have something special, try the disposable kits.

A kit that contains a buffer, nail file, nail brush, orange sticks and foot file strips.

you can customize your kit or buy it online.
We provide the kits with an extra charge ($4) and our clients love them and they are so happy to take it with them after their mani/pedi session.

Just wanted to add my two pennies (for what it's worth).

I give every new client an organza bag with a free gift inside, depending on the service. For example, if someone comes in for a facial, they receive some serum and a moisturiser, manicures/pedicures get sample tubes of hand cream etc.

So many people have commented on what a lovely surprise it is to receive at the end of the treatment (keeping it as a surprise for them makes them even more excited to receive it!).

The best benefit? I sell a huge amount of retail off the back of the samples. They like the smells of the hand creams for example and come back to pick up full size bottles.

So as well as being a nice touch for your clients, the money spent on putting them together (each bag costs approx £1.20 with samples, business card and the bag itself) is included in my marketing budget and has been recouped many times over.

Just my opinion :)

Lucy x

Last edited:
I love it Lucy,
That sounds perfect, i might use your idea too.

Love these last few suggestions, that's exactly what I was trying to do. I love the idea of keeping it as a surprise!

Latest posts

Back