How to best secure rhinestones when using regular polish?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nandbbyeve

Reaction score
Just a bit of advice. I tend to only use rhinestones when using Shellac and set it into the top coat so they last.
I'm doing a design on Saturday using regular polish painted onto acrylics. The little finger is covered in pink glitter which I'm just going to either use pink glitter acrylic and just apply a top coat or I also thought of sprinkling pink glitter onto a topcoat then top coat over the top. The ring finger has rhinestones around the edges. My plan was to paint in the polish, apply nail glue where I'm putting them, stick into place then apply a couple if layers of top coat. Any better ideas?
Also I've heard someone say to use the CND shellac topcoat over regular polish? Is this a bad idea? Never tired it?
Thanks 😊

Just a bit of advice. I tend to only use rhinestones when using Shellac and set it into the top coat so they last.
I'm doing a design on Saturday using regular polish painted onto acrylics. The little finger is covered in pink glitter which I'm just going to either use pink glitter acrylic and just apply a top coat or I also thought of sprinkling pink glitter onto a topcoat then top coat over the top. The ring finger has rhinestones around the edges. My plan was to paint in the polish, apply nail glue where I'm putting them, stick into place then apply a couple if layers of top coat. Any better ideas?
Also I've heard someone say to use the CND shellac topcoat over regular polish? Is this a bad idea? Never tired it?
Thanks 😊

I have found nail glue and normal topcoat work fine! Press down and just ensure its fully adhered by seeing if you can move it. I've never used shellac topcoat with normal polish, wouldn't try it on a client unless you are sure about it! Seche vite do a uv ropcoat which is meant to be used over normal varnish but I haven't tried it out. Hope helps!

Sent from my HTC Desire C using SalonGeek mobile app

I've used shellac top coat over normal polish before on myself because I'm generally too lazy to let normal polish dry fully itself haha, and I found it works fine! I'd actually prefer this method than using nail glue. If you're applying a dot of glue then a rhinestone and so on you can kind of see the glue around the rhinestone. If you paint the glue on like a topcoat then it dries before you can do all the rhinestones.

Thanks for the advise, how long do you find the rhinestones last with glue & ordinary top coat?
Ooh did the shellac top coat set ok then on normal polish? How long does it last?

Thanks for the advise, how long do you find the rhinestones last with glue & ordinary top coat?
Ooh did the shellac top coat set ok then on normal polish? How long does it last?

It set fine! I just let the polish dry for about 3 minutes so it wouldn't transfer to my shellac brush! I'm not 100% sure on the lasting time, obviously it's not 2 weeks like it would be if you used shellac base and shellac colour but I found it lasted a few days before I got chips.

Hi, when I stick rhinestones on I put a little bit of nail glue on top of the varnish, holdt the stone on until its set and then put a drip more nail glue on top and wait for it to dry. They seem indestructible

That's a great tip I've not thought if doing that! I'll try that too great thanks! 😀

i have been doing gelish for a short while now and would really like to start using gems on my gelish - can anyone advise how to do so? x

I've also just started using rhinestones - I have Swarovski ones too and normally set them in builder gel but I find they come loose after a few days. They last better if I put a gel coat on top of the stones but I find it dulls the shine :/ can anyone advise the best way to set them without loosing shine?

I am afraid to use a gel polish top coat on top of regular polish. Does it work? If so, why don't we do it all the time? Glue and top coat atop crystals definitely dulls. With gel, I use a thick top coat and set them in it and maybe touch gel around Crystal with a detailer brush. But I am looking for any magic trick ideas with regular polish.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using SalonGeek mobile app

I find they stay really well in normal polish just apply polish and set them when it's still wet ie one toe at a time then topcoat to seal .

Sent from my GT-N7100 using SalonGeek mobile app

Shellac topcoat is fine to use over regular polish as long as it's fully dry. I only ever usually do it on my own nails, paint them one day and then shellac topcoat them the next day. I'm forever changing my colour so don't always use shellac colour on my own but the topcoat gives them the protection against doing others nails

I never, never apply top coat over the rhinestone, it'll blunt all the cuts of the rhinestone and look like a bead instead. What I do with normal nail polish is, after the top coat, I dot the glue on the desired position, place the rhinestone, and press firmly on the stone using the back of the stone-placing pencil.

Latest posts

Back