How to deal with dust?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brylo

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I’ve recently just started as a nail tech at home and i’m having a huge problem with dust.

I’m using an e file but finding with the buffing and filing of acrylic and gel extensions I am struggling with what to do with the dust.

I’ve tried sweeping and containing with couch roll but it’s not helping that much.

Thinking of getting one of these table top extractors but it’s a huge expense for someone just starting out when i’ve had to lay out for kit as well.

Nail techs what are you doing? Have you got any pointers?

It is a problem, If I ever get a garden salon (My dream!) I'd install an extractor but for now I just vacuum it up afterwards.

I've just purchased a tabletop one yesterday because of this same issue. It's not going to be amazing and I know that but I do think something is better than nothing and I'll upgrade when I've got a more permanent space. It should come in a day or two but I can let you know how I get on with it if you'd like? :)

I eventually invested in a good quality extractor fan and it makes a huge difference.

I recommend an extractor for your health. Think about the amount of dust you're inhaling. There are some cheaper models on the market that ladies recommend. I have seen a few videos on youtube. I personally love Valentino but get what works for your budget.

A decent extraction system is definitely the best option but I understand how you feel about the expense of buying everything all at once. Depending on how busy you are you might find one of the cheaper desktop extractors (with a filter rather than a bag) would help with the heavier dust that falls immediately onto your desk/hands/arms until you're in a better position to buy a better system. This is what I've done and it has made a big difference to the amount of dust I need to clean up after each client, so even though I know it's not capturing all the light airborne dust, it's definitely better than nothing and if you're able to ventilate your room after each client that will also help remove the airborne particles.

I understand Vodex are offering payment plans on their extraction systems if that's any good to you?

I've just purchased a tabletop one yesterday because of this same issue. It's not going to be amazing and I know that but I do think something is better than nothing and I'll upgrade when I've got a more permanent space. It should come in a day or two but I can let you know how I get on with it if you'd like? :)

Please can you let me know what model you bought? I’ve seen some online but don’t know if they are any good and reluctant to waste money.

That would be great :) thank you

A decent extraction system is definitely the best option but I understand how you feel about the expense of buying everything all at once. Depending on how busy you are you might find one of the cheaper desktop extractors (with a filter rather than a bag) would help with the heavier dust that falls immediately onto your desk/hands/arms until you're in a better position to buy a better system. This is what I've done and it has made a big difference to the amount of dust I need to clean up after each client, so even though I know it's not capturing all the light airborne dust, it's definitely better than nothing and if you're able to ventilate your room after each client that will also help remove the airborne particles.

I understand Vodex are offering payment plans on their extraction systems if that's any good to you?
Thank you for your help, please can you let me know which one you purchased as I am dubious about the ones offered on eBay/Amazon.

I’m based in the uk if that makes a difference?

Thank you

Thank you for your help, please can you let me know which one you purchased as I am dubious about the ones offered on eBay/Amazon.

I’m based in the uk if that makes a difference?

Thank you

I'm in the UK too, but mine came from China and I needed to buy an adaptor for the plug. Hopefully I can attach a pic below. As I said, it's ok, but only a temporary measure. I also bought replacement filters at the same time.

Here it is x

Attachments

• IMG_2190.jpg
    IMG_2190.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 42
Ok folks, quick update as it's arrived now. I've plugged it in and turned it on to check it works. It is definitely loud and you can feel suction but I haven't tested dust etc with my efile yet as I've not had time. Will let you know how i'm getting on later or tomorrow, leave it with me.

Ok folks, quick update as it's arrived now. I've plugged it in and turned it on to check it works. It is definitely loud and you can feel suction but I haven't tested dust etc with my efile yet as I've not had time. Will let you know how i'm getting on later or tomorrow, leave it with me.
Which one did you go for?

Latest posts

Back