How to ensure Rockstar nails are neat round the edges?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommo

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I have read lots of Rockstar threads and picked up lots of tips. However, when applying the glitter with my brush, the edges still seem really messy and I'm finding the topcoat stage quite difficult.
How do you neaten the edges up as I'm afraid my clients Rockstar nails are going to lift because of this!

I just make sure I really burnish (ie rub in) the glitter so it all lies flat I then actually take my curette and go around the side walls to ensure no loose bits before applying my 2 x top coats

Thanks for your reply. I've been trying to do that with an orange stick but am still getting bits, and it's looking messy.
Maybe I just need more practice :)

How do you apply your glitter? I use a small firm brush and I built it on gradually then brush over to to clear any excess. Never had a problem this way. Also are u curing the layer if colour before you apply the glitter? X

How do you apply your glitter? I use a small firm brush and I built it on gradually then brush over to to clear any excess. Never had a problem this way. Also are u curing the layer if colour before you apply the glitter? X

I do base, cure, 1 colour coat, cure then dab the glitter all over the nails so coverage looks even. And then really burnish it in.
If it looks like it needs more coverage then I do a coat of clearly pink over the glitter, (as it never gets used) cure, another layer of glitter then 2 topcoats.
I use the cnd gel oval brush #6
Hth
Xx

I just go over the nail after I've put the glitter. First i use the middle of a form to press the glitter in (if customer wants foil effect then i burnish in with a brush) then I go top to bottom and side to side, round the edge with the brush and done. Fingernail fixer has a brilliant you tube vid of this. It gives a nice crisp finish.
Also make sure that your polishing is nice and neat to so the glitter has no choice but to stick in a straight line. These are toes I did the other day to show you the finish.
This customer had been to a well known salon where I live and her original ones were like sand paper to touch. Yuck.
Vicki x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1354626944.014328.jpg

Yes, I do cure the colour before I add the glitter x

Yes, I do cure the colour before I add the glitter x

Maybe try the finer glitters as opposed to chunkier ones. Sounds like ur doing everything same as me. Just really brush over several times to remove excess and go right round tips. Xx

make sure you apply base and color neatly around the edges. glitter will stick to that area only. if you apply messy around the edges so will the glitter. and make sure you press.:)

I sometimes find with mine, when applying the topcoat to the glitter, the free edge looks like it has no glitter on, and the topcoat doesn't cover the free edge properly and sometimes feels rough!? Should i apply one topcoat then carefully file the rough bits out before applying 2nd topcoat?

Sent from my GT-I5800 using SalonGeek

I just go over the nail after I've put the glitter. First i use the middle of a form to press the glitter in (if customer wants foil effect then i burnish in with a brush) then I go top to bottom and side to side, round the edge with the brush and done. Fingernail fixer has a brilliant you tube vid of this. It gives a nice crisp finish.
Also make sure that your polishing is nice and neat to so the glitter has no choice but to stick in a straight line. These are toes I did the other day to show you the finish.
This customer had been to a well known salon where I live and her original ones were like sand paper to touch. Yuck.
Vicki x
View attachment 24203

Lovely colour, may I ask which glitter you used please?

Lovely colour, may I ask which glitter you used please?

It's an NSI glitter think its called aqua and midnight swim shellac underneath. It's quite an icy blue until it goes over the midnight swim. Here it is in her fingers
Sorry OP not meaning to hijack :)
Vicki x
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1354715364.442951.jpg

Hi hun

I used a small sable brush from Hobby Craft to apply my glitter, then take a fan brush and gently sweep any excess away. I then go along the side walls and eponychium area using the fan brush pointing downwards to real brush away any bits that are in the way to create a nice line iykwim. I then use clearly pink as the next layer cure, then top coat cure. I use clearly pink so that it saves on top coat. Make sure you use a nice fine glitter as well, I was using craft store glitter which was to chunky really, switched to glitters from Sweet Squared and hey presto, so much easier.

HTH xxx

It's an NSI glitter think its called aqua and midnight swim shellac underneath. It's quite an icy blue until it goes over the midnight swim. Here it is in her fingers
Sorry OP not meaning to hijack :)
Vicki x
View attachment 24250

No no that's fine! :) thanks all for your help!

Hi hun

I used a small sable brush from Hobby Craft to apply my glitter, then take a fan brush and gently sweep any excess away. I then go along the side walls and eponychium area using the fan brush pointing downwards to real brush away any bits that are in the way to create a nice line iykwim. I then use clearly pink as the next layer cure, then top coat cure. I use clearly pink so that it saves on top coat. Make sure you use a nice fine glitter as well, I was using craft store glitter which was to chunky really, switched to glitters from Sweet Squared and hey presto, so much easier.

HTH xxx

What fan brush is it?

I use either the one I got in the additives kit or the one in the irresistible glitters section on S2. HTH xx

I use either the one I got in the additives kit or the one in the irresistible glitters section on S2. HTH xx

Just an ordinary makeup fan brush would work then?

If it's like the nail art fan brush and isn't too soft, then I don't see why not. The stiffer the brush the better it is for 'flicking' out the bits of excess glitter along the side walls and eponychium.

HTH xx

I use a stiff fan brush too, like happyfeet. If your margins are neat, the glitter will only stick to the sticky Shellac... then you just press it in and flick the messy bits out with the fan brush :)

xxx

I use an old nail art detailer brush to go around the edges just to get any excess glitter.
ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1354789946.207314.jpg

Latest posts

Back